Zxpand+ / Memotech pack mod

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
Daeve

Zxpand+ / Memotech pack mod

Post by Daeve »

Hi,
I’ve finally got my hands on a mythical (or is that legendary?!) Zxpand+, thanks Charlie.

I’ve searched for variants of the above words, apologies if I missed anything obvious. Is there any template/guide for modding a Memotech pack to fit it, or does anyone have any tips on how to go about fitting and cutting the SD slot without ruining the case? I’ve seen in the Announcements section a template for the zxpand from 2014, but I’m guessing the + is a different beast dimension-wise?

I’ve seen the nice looking 3D printed case for it on SMR, but I’ve a few memotech packs and some were bought as dead units very cheaply in case I ever got a zxpand, so I’d prefer to use them if I can.

Quite looking forward to opening up ZX81’s abilities with it.
Moggy

Re: Zxpand+ / Memotech pack mod

Post by Moggy »

No the spand+ is slightly too large for the Memotech case so the ones sold on Sell My Retro would be the way to go.

I would also advise that if enclosing the board then use a regulated power pack of about 1.5/2 amps set for 7.5 volts with the spand+ as the two small voltage regs on the back of the spand+ located next to the electrolytic capacitor run VERY hot when using the standard Sinclair power pack which kicks out anything up to 14v, and the two small regs end up having to sink a lot of excess voltage in the form of heat which doesn't bode well for them longevity wise.

As for opening up possibilities hi-res,UDG with suitable hardware add-on plus AY music composition and playing is catered for thanks to Andy Rea, along with the spand+'s ability to play suitably converted GM MIDI files thanks to Sir Morris the Spand+ creator.

I like the rest of the gang here would be more than happy to help you with any of the above mentioned. :D
Daeve

Re: Zxpand+ / Memotech pack mod

Post by Daeve »

Useful info, thanks Moggy. I’m not a fan of using bare boards except when testing - I much prefer the neater lines possible of a case.