Re: Russian PCB ZX80 clone problem

Post by crrush »

This is hires image of ROM selectors
https://ibb.co/fFv7dGw

And those A11 and E pins are already connected to corresponding PCB points
Erm

Post by Erm »

I bet the EPROM is empty for a start! With mine I also got a couple of wrong 74XX chips, so also check those are all correct.

Oh yes, I have those alternate EPROM connections on mine too, never noticed that! Well, in that case, that looks ok.
I'm Chris, a Brit in Germany (Chr$ on the QL forum). https:\\QXL.WIN < QL related collection.
crrush

Post by crrush »

Erm wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:44 pm I bet the EPROM is empty for a start!
Right, that is good enough to start an investigation. How one may check EPROM content? How did you find that out?
Erm

Post by Erm »

I have a Chinese EPROM programmer and before I started putting the sockets/resistors/caps etc on the board I thought I should probably check all the chips as their age and source was unknown (I wasn't bothered about the Z80 as I have some known good spares of those). I was able to use the same programmer to check most of the 74XX logic chips and discovered right away that the EPROM was just full of empty 'FF's. So I burnt the correct ROM image onto it.

Where are you crrush? I'd be happy to check yours and put the right ROM onto it for just the cost of postage, but I suspect you can probably find someone closer and that may be easier.
I'm Chris, a Brit in Germany (Chr$ on the QL forum). https:\\QXL.WIN < QL related collection.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

If you don’t have a EPROM/EEPROM programmer, but do have a breadboard, it’s fairly simple to wire up the EPROM to produce an output. This would just be a simple test to check an address where a value that is not 255 (0xFF) should be present.

The pin out of the chips used in a ZX81 are linked to a post in my signature below. The ZX80 and the ZX81 used the same ROM chip pin out. But the ZX80 used a 4K byte ROM chip.

And here is a diagram showing the EPROM pin outs:

Which type number is on the EPROM that you have, 2732 (4K bytes) or 2764 (8K bytes)?

The ZX80 original ROM is 4K bytes. The ZX81 ROM (which can also be used in a ZX80) is 8K bytes.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Here are the contents of the first 21 memory locations in a ZX80 ROM:
ZX80 ROM, first 21 locations
ZX80 ROM, first 21 locations
Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
crrush

Post by crrush »

Erm wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:11 pm I'd be happy to check yours and put the right ROM onto it for just the cost of postage, but I suspect you can probably find someone closer and that may be easier.
This is absolutely very kind of you, but unfortunately, I am in Moscow atm. The real problem is that that guy who sells kits does not care of aftersales, he just says he never tried to solder the kit himself, neither he checked ROM before actual shipping.
So thank you, but I think you are right I will try to get a new ROM from someone near me to reduce the shipping price

Alex
crrush

Post by crrush »

1024MAK wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:27 pm

Which type number is on the EPROM that you have, 2732 (4K bytes) or 2764 (8K bytes)?

The ZX80 original ROM is 4K bytes. The ZX81 ROM (which can also be used in a ZX80) is 8K bytes.

Mark
I have 2732 shipped with the kit
crrush

Post by crrush »

May be it is a good idea to get EPROM programmer, after all, I may check TT logic chips as well
Erm

Post by Erm »

I'm following this more intently now, to see how you get on with yours. I was inspired to get mine to a working state, so popped the chips on, added a power socket and with ZX8-CCB Video, plus a 2732 ROM with the correct data on it, all I get is a plain white screen (a little flicker, then white)! I've put it away for now and perhaps we can explore our problems together, once you have a known good written Eprom.