Poorly ZX81

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
SpaceFlightOrange

Poorly ZX81

Post by SpaceFlightOrange »

Hi.

New here, but I've been active on other forums (Stardot, SpectrumComputing, Defence-Force) for some time now and i recognise some of the names on here.

I have an early issue 1 ZX81, which i bought last year. It's in beautiful condition, one owner and hardly used. I'd never opened it, and It worked perfectly until the other day.

I bought a MemoPak 16kb in mint condition, "tested and working" and when, i recieved it, i fitted it to the zx81, and powered up. Nothing. turned it off and unplugged it, turned the ZX81 on, nothing, apart from the band on the picture below.

I'm not sure what has happened, but i want to get this little fella up and running without losing its originality if possible.

so far, i've checked voltages to the ram and the ULA and they are 4.92v, current draw is around 300ma, done the touch test, and nothing is getting hot. I've set my scope up so that's the next step (once i've done the jobs im supposed to do and released back into my cave).

any suggestions you can provide would be great. thanks.
IMG_1056.JPG
IMG_1082.JPG
IMG_1087.JPG
IMG_1092.JPG
IMG_1093.JPG
1024MAK

Re: Poorly ZX81

Post by 1024MAK »

Start here (although you should use your ‘scope)...

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
SpaceFlightOrange

1024MAK wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:30 am Start here (although you should use your ‘scope)...

Mark
Thanks Mark.

How are you?

You must think I'm stalking you :D

Did some preliminary scoping last night.

Clock at ULA (pin 14)
ULA_14 copy.jpg
Clock at CPU (pin 6)
CPU_6 copy.jpg
A0 at RAM
A0_RAM copy.jpg
A1 at RAM
A1_RAM copy.jpg
D! at RAM
D1_RAM copy.jpg
SpaceFlightOrange

A7 at the ROM
A7_ROM copy.jpg
The Luma signal going into the Modulator
Composite copy.jpg
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

My expertise in all things tecchy is zilch and I know the following is anecdotal, but just about every blown ULA (including the new replacements) I have suffered has been down to a duff or failing Memotech memory pack.

I'm the klutz who couples/uncouples things when powered up and manage to get away with it with just about any other add on but plug in a failing memopack with power off then switched on and it's goodnight Vienna for Mr ULA. :oops:
bola_dor

Post by bola_dor »

I am happy that you finally got yout [K] on this ZX81..
We met at Facebook...
one of mine s still hasn't seen the light
Ernesto
Ernesto
ZX80 USA, ZX81UK, ZX Spectrum, ZX Spectrum+, ZX Spectrum 128+ UK, ZX Spectrum +2/A, Sinclair QL, CZ1000, CZ1500, CZ2000, CZ1000Plus, CZ1500Plus, CZ Spectrum, CZ Spectrum Plus, TK83, TK85, TK90X, TK95. TS2068. And more to come :D
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

SpaceFlightOrange wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:50 am How are you?
Apart from the hassle of work and trying to cope with hey fever, I’m fine. Not looking forward to wearing a mask at the same time as having bad hey fever though :(
SpaceFlightOrange wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:50 amYou must think I'm stalking you :D
Yeah, but I wouldn’t mind if you were a pretty woman in a short skirt :lol:
SpaceFlightOrange wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:50 amDid some preliminary scoping last night.
From what I can tell, the logic levels on the digital signal lines look okay. The Z80 looks like it’s running. You definitely don’t have any actual video signal though, your ‘scope image looks like just random noise.

Test A14 and A15 to see if the Z80 is actually trying to generate a screen display.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.