Internal AY-8912, has anyone tried it?

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
1024MAK

Re: Internal AY-8912, has anyone tried it?

Post by 1024MAK »

Definitely ask any questions, there are both hardware and software tinkerers here ;)

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
kokkiklhs

Post by kokkiklhs »

Moggy wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:48 pm Please don't let anything I say put you off. I just wanted to give you a few pointers that's all.

The joy of doing a project to completion doesn't matter if any body else wants it because it is for your satisfaction of a job well done,the journey and problem solving along the way, and remember there are a lot of very knowledgeable gurus on this forum (not me :oops: ) who I know would be happy to share their expertise with you.

If you look at the posts above by anightin then you will see he/she is trying to get something to work for the ACE so perhaps you can swap ideas etc.

Please persevere with it as all zeddy projects are worth it and I wish you all the best for it. :D

Moggy.
Gee, thanks, I know exactly what you mean! It's a great pleasure to see any project finished, even if it's totally useless or pointless... I'll try it, but it needs a lot of time (for studying/asking about some details before) which I don't have right now... The only caveat is the lack of software, but if something like that is finally made one day, it will be perhaps a good chance for software developers to produce more stuff for stock AY-equipped Zeddies, without ZXPand etc...
1024MAK wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:13 pm Definitely ask any questions, there are both hardware and software tinkerers here ;)

Mark
Thanks, once I start, I will surely be needing A LOT of advice!! ;)

Cheers to both of you and Merry Christmas to the whole Zeddy community!!!
:)
shock__

Post by shock__ »

How much height does the original ZX81 case have left for the CPU socket? On an Issue One it should be possible to add a pretty daughterboard if you have ~15mm left (or less if you solder in the CPU and solder the daughterboard directly on top ... or none at all if you design a daughterboard that replaces the through hole CPU with a SMD one). Otherwise it should be possible in any case using "deadbug"-style ICs + loose wires.

I could definitely see this work, but recently got rid of my last ZX81 and to be perfectly honest here have no interest in designing hardware for the ZX81.
ZX: Pentagon 48 (as 128) | ZS Scorpion 256 Turbo+ & SMUC + ZXM GS | Compact 256 Turbo 1.1 (Scorpion Timing + fixed Covox) | ZX Spectrum 48K | Sprinter 2016S | Didaktik M (+ RGB) | CoBra | ATM Turbo 2+ 7.11 | Pentagon 1024SL 2.2
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Not much height. About 18mm from the surface of the PCB to the plastic case. Slightly less at the front due to the case sloping downwards.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

The UK H4th ROM came on a daughter board that replaced the Sinclair ROM and the original US Pluri forth version on which H4th was based had both the original and Forth ROM on the same board along with the wiring that connected to the channel switch,now used for ROM switching, so some scope for fitting a board especially with modern small components I would have thought.

The area under the keyboard is a possibility too as I seem to recall that being a favourite space for fitting Karl's video boards.

The attached picture when zoomed in should give some idea of how a daughter board would fit .

Link to the original article.

https://archive.org/stream/SyncVolume4N ... 7/mode/2up
Attachments
Sync Volume 4 Number 2_0077.jpeg.zip
(108.8 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
jdfan1000

Post by jdfan1000 »

Independence Research made a 64K internal expansion for the ZX81/TS1000. Based on the images, it looks like they mounted it through the Z80 socket. There is a very low res image here: https://www.timexsinclair.com/product/64kt-64kz/
My archive.org collection, containing many Timex/Sinclair related publications.

TimexSinclair.com, my website about Sinclair computers in the US.
fordp2002

Post by fordp2002 »

I am working on getting the ZX21 sound working. I am using the YMZ-284 chip board option and I have typed some of the programs in from the ZONX81 Manual (Ian Priddey).

I will as at the very least add the .p files to my github.
FordP (Simon Ellwood)
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so!