Internal AY-8912, has anyone tried it?

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
kokkiklhs

Internal AY-8912, has anyone tried it?

Post by kokkiklhs »

I was looking at this:
https://hw.speccy.cz/ayinterface.html
and started thinking about such an option for the Zeddy...
OK, I know about ZONX, or the ZXPand AY-board, but how about fitting the soundchip INSIDE the Zeddy with an extra little board and some wiring? I imagine a machine with internal 32k, HRG and AY soundchip, wouldn't it be just great?

The schematic for the Spectrum could (most probably) be adapted rather easily for someone with hardware experience, wouldn't it be worth the time?
I am not sure, though, if a little board with the AY, additional 3 logic ICs and crystal would fit inside the case, but I suppose that it could be placed next to the heatsink, there is *some* space there...
:roll:
Moggy

Re: Internal AY-8912, has anyone tried it?

Post by Moggy »

The ZXpand + has the AY chip fitted as standard and not as an add on board so anyone who has the ZXpand + (which is many) already have the facility and wouldn't want to have the same thing twice or have to butcher the zeddies case for the stereo output socket.

Apart from the rare bit of software using AY the only other use for AY is for the tracker software or PT3/STC players in which apart from Yerz and myself
nobody has shown any interest in, and come to think of it now Yerz has married and retired from the AY scene that leaves just me.
If you intend this for non ZXpand users then remember all the music creation software may not work with tape loading without a lot of alteration as it was designed for ZXpand use so all that is left is a few games.

But if you fancy the idea then why not? :D
fordp2002

Post by fordp2002 »

I hope to get internal sound on my ZX21 project. I hope to get to try and get it working over Christmas.
FordP (Simon Ellwood)
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so!
anightin

Post by anightin »

Moggy wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:11 pm Apart from the rare bit of software using AY the only other use for AY is for the tracker software or PT3/STC players in which apart from Yerz and myself
nobody has shown any interest in, and come to think of it now Yerz has married and retired from the AY scene that leaves just me.
I have an AY-8910 on my Ace expansion, (and an AY-8912 on my Acorn System 3 via a PSG card). I've also just got ZASM running on my Pi so one of my 2021 projects is to get some sound out of the Ace at least if not both systems.

Being able to play ProTracker/Sound Tracker files sounds like a bit of fun.

Please can you post/PM a link to the sources if they are shared so that I can have a peek please?

Many thanks
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

The tracker for the Zxpand and ZX81 can be found here..

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=556&hilit=ay+tracker

Be aware that like the players it is meant for ZXpand and ZX81 use only and uses it's own format for songs,samples etc and is not compatible with say the spectrum trackers.

If you want to try them in an emulator then the ZXpand version of SZ81 w32 version is the only one that will successfully run it as the tracker uses some unusual screen handling routines which crash every emulator except SZ81 and Eighty One (sadly the AY in this emulator is borked)and it also requires songs and samples to be loaded/saved with file extensions .SNG .SAM which only SZ81 will accommodate after the emulators author kindly refashioned it to do so., the other emulators using only P files for load/save.

The PT3 and STC players are on the forum somewhere but the crappy search function won't allow something as simple as PT3 or STC to be searched for and adding the word player just brings up every post with that word in it so good luck finding them and like the tracker require an emulator that recognises STC/PT3 extensions.

As for the sources then Andy Rea is the person to ask as he created them but sadly he is here on the forum very rarely these days but you could try a PM as he may just respond to it.

HTH.

Moggy.
anightin

Post by anightin »

Moggy wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:44 pm The tracker for the Zxpand and ZX81 can be found here..

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=556&hilit=ay+tracker

Be aware that like the players it is meant for ZXpand and ZX81 use only and uses it's own format for songs,samples etc and is not compatible with say the spectrum trackers.

If you want to try them in an emulator then the ZXpand version of SZ81 w32 version is the only one that will successfully run it as the tracker uses some unusual screen handling routines which crash every emulator except SZ81 and Eighty One (sadly the AY in this emulator is borked)and it also requires songs and samples to be loaded/saved with file extensions .SNG .SAM which only SZ81 will accommodate after the emulators author kindly refashioned it to do so., the other emulators using only P files for load/save.

The PT3 and STC players are on the forum somewhere but the crappy search function won't allow something as simple as PT3 or STC to be searched for and adding the word player just brings up every post with that word in it so good luck finding them and like the tracker require an emulator that recognises STC/PT3 extensions.

As for the sources then Andy Rea is the person to ask as he created them but sadly he is here on the forum very rarely these days but you could try a PM as he may just respond to it.

HTH.

Moggy.
Thanks for the leads @Moggy
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Dunno if using this

Code: Select all

site:https://www.sinclairzxworld.com PT3 and STC
in a Google search box helps...

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

I will use this from now on ,thanks Mark. :D
kokkiklhs

Post by kokkiklhs »

Moggy wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:11 pm The ZXpand + has the AY chip fitted as standard and not as an add on board so anyone who has the ZXpand + (which is many) already have the facility and wouldn't want to have the same thing twice or have to butcher the zeddies case for the stereo output socket.

Apart from the rare bit of software using AY the only other use for AY is for the tracker software or PT3/STC players in which apart from Yerz and myself
If you intend this for non ZXpand users then remember all the music creation software may not work with tape loading without a lot of alteration as it was designed for ZXpand use so all that is left is a few games.

But if you fancy the idea then why not? :D
Wow, a lot of details I was not aware of... The best is the info about Yerz, and I was wondering what had happened of him... But the news are good, he made a right choice and I'm happy for him!
Well, I didn't know about all this software incompatibility, just thought it would be pretty much straightforward!
Anyway, I may try it sometime, though my knowledge is not that deep on electronics, apart of some simple repairs and mods... I may ask a couple of local friends for assistance, but this is a project for the future, that's for sure!!
Cheers!!
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Please don't let anything I say put you off. I just wanted to give you a few pointers that's all.

The joy of doing a project to completion doesn't matter if any body else wants it because it is for your satisfaction of a job well done,the journey and problem solving along the way, and remember there are a lot of very knowledgeable gurus on this forum (not me :oops: ) who I know would be happy to share their expertise with you.

If you look at the posts above by anightin then you will see he/she is trying to get something to work for the ACE so perhaps you can swap ideas etc.

Please persevere with it as all zeddy projects are worth it and I wish you all the best for it. :D

Moggy.