S-Pack DCP Micro developments

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
Jungsi

S-Pack DCP Micro developments

Post by Jungsi »

I received the ZX81 Interface S-Pack from DCP Micro Developments as a gift. This is a speech output interface based on the DIGITALKER chip developed by Forrest Mozer and licensed to National Semiconductor.
The digitized speech is on an extra chip and offers 70 words. There are supposed to be three more chips. The sockets are already on the board. The designation of the chips is SSR1-SSR6, but it is not certain that SSR3 and SSR4 really exist.
Unfortunately, no instructions were included with the device, so I do not know how it is controlled. The Spectrum version of the device should be able to be used with e.g. OUT 255,34.
A small programme from the German Sinclair Forum - Basic and machine language has not yet been successful.
The S-Pack does not announce "This is Digitalker" via the internal main speaker when it is switched on.
Attachments
DCP S-Pack.jpg
DCP Platinen 2.jpg
DCP Platinen 1.jpg
My Blog (in German): http://www.jungsi.de
1024MAK

Re: S-Pack DCP Micro developments

Post by 1024MAK »

Well the glue logic chips are:
74LS02 quad 2-input NOR gate
74LS32 quad 2-input OR gate
74LS74 dual D positive edge triggered flip-flop, asynchronous preset and clear

So the address decoding should not be too complex. If it uses /IORQ then machine code is needed to access it. But this ZX81 version may use /MREQ so that it is memory mapped, then POKE can be used.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
system11

Post by system11 »

I also have one of these and I have no idea how to use it, did you ever get it to work?

All I've been able to find is there are supposedly 2 ports mapped at 49148 and 49149 and the expectation was using POKE, but I have no idea what to do with them and have found no examples.

Edit: 49148 doesn't appear to do anything but I realised I hadn't tried 49149 right after I typed this.

POKE 49149,1 will make it say "one"!
system11

Post by system11 »

Does anyone have the additional ROM chips? Mine just has the starter one installed with 70 words.
system11

Post by system11 »

S-Pack Manual - DCP microdevelopments.pdf
(322.7 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
Found the manual.