Post by AlfaRomeo »

Meanwhile, yesterday I exchanged the 7805 by this regulator
VoltRegulator.jpg
and the result is a (slightly better to the eyes) thick diagonal moving bars
NoisyScr2.jpg
AlfaRomeo

Re: VLa81 noisy video signal

Post by AlfaRomeo »

1024MAK wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:19 am With the computer disconnected from the power, test between the outer ground/0V connection of the phono output connector on the modulator and the heatsink tab of the 7805 voltage regulator using the 200 ohm resistance range on your multimeter.
Mark
I tested and it mesure 0.5 Ohm
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

AlfaRomeo wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:02 pm
1024MAK wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:19 am With the computer disconnected from the power, test between the outer ground/0V connection of the phono output connector on the modulator and the heatsink tab of the 7805 voltage regulator using the 200 ohm resistance range on your multimeter.
Mark
I tested and it mesure 0.5 Ohm
That’s okay.

Well, that’s me exhausted of all the simple suggestions…

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
AlfaRomeo

Post by AlfaRomeo »

I noted that, as I do testing the ground track around the board, the noise is amplified.
The far is the ground from the regulator, the bigger is the noise.
Test01.jpg
Test02.jpg
Test03.jpg
Test04.jpg
Test05.jpg
zx-heinz

Post by zx-heinz »

Change the capacitor C2 (located close to the modulator) into a bigger one, 100nF or 1µF.
AlfaRomeo

Post by AlfaRomeo »

zx-heinz wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:45 pm Change the capacitor C2 (located close to the modulator) into a bigger one, 100nF or 1µF.
Thanks, will try it
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

AlfaRomeo wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:40 am I noted that, as I do testing the ground track around the board, the noise is amplified.
The far is the ground from the regulator, the bigger is the noise.
Because there are lots of digital signals constantly changing state, there will be switching noise on the 5V and 0V/GND points and it will be worse the further from the 7805 voltage regulator that you test.

Try adding an extra capacitor. Add a ceramic type (or better yet, a multilayer ceramic type) and connect it between the existing connections for C2 on the underside of the board, and/or add a capacitor (again a ceramic type) between pins 34 and 40 of the ULA socket (IC1) again on underside of the board.

Ceramic capacitors are not polarity sensitive, so can be fitted either way round.

The actual value is not critical, but suggested values are 100nF, 220nF, 470nF or 1uF.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
DrVenkman

Post by DrVenkman »

1024MAK wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:00 pm Try adding an extra capacitor. Add a ceramic type (or better yet, a multilayer ceramic type) and connect it between the existing connections for C2 on the underside of the board, and/or add a capacitor (again a ceramic type) between pins 34 and 40 of the ULA socket (IC1) again on underside of the board.

The actual value is not critical, but suggested values are 100nF, 220nF, 470nF or 1uF.
I recently installed a composite mod per Mark’s design in my TS1000 which had terrible RF. I got a nice sharp picture but terrible vertical jailbars in the display. I had previously tried a 33uF electrolytic between the 5V and GND rails near the VR per a suggestion elsewhere but it made no difference. I also replaced the VR with a modern, high efficiency switching unit but also no change. Today after reading Mark’s post above I installed .47uF ceramic caps in the locations indicated and it did wonders to clean up the noise. I might do the same for the Vcc and Vss pins of the Z80 and SRAM chips too to see if that clears it up completely.
AlfaRomeo

Post by AlfaRomeo »

1024MAK wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:00 pm Try adding an extra capacitor. Add a ceramic type (or better yet, a multilayer ceramic type) and connect it between the existing connections for C2 on the underside of the board, and/or add a capacitor (again a ceramic type) between pins 34 and 40 of the ULA socket (IC1) again on underside of the board.
Mark
Hi Mark, thanks for helping.

I will try that, but for now, as I had no solution I already close the computer.
Have to wait some days until I could dispend some time to open it again and try the incoming solutions.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Fitting extra multilayer ceramic capacitors near the 7805 voltage regulator or DC/DC converter / switching regulator will also help. In this topic I posted photos of where I fit them when I install a DC/DC converter / switching regulator. But they may help even if you continue to use the existing 7805 voltage regulator.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!