TS1000 Keyboard decision....

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
desiv

TS1000 Keyboard decision....

Post by desiv »

Hmmm...
Got him working with the 16k internal expansion!!!!
Still have to do the ZXVid.

I really tried to save the original keyboard, but the ribbon snapped and needed to be cut twice (and it still worked), but then a bit ago (after the 16k upgrade), it cracked pretty low on the cable.
I expected it; it was pretty brittle, and I already have a new keyboard.

But now, the decision.
(hmmm not sure if that google image link is working. Yeah, doesn't look like it. Darn google images.. ;-) )
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM ... N5TERFa29R
(Also, looking at the photo, it looks like there is something wrong the the E on the US overlay. There isn't. That's just a reflection.)
US or UK?
The US is an overlay, I bought it to do that.
But... Hmmm.... There is something about the UK layout...
Just not sure yet...

Thoughts?
desiv

Re: TS1000 Keyboard decision....

Post by desiv »

Think I'm sticking with the UK keyboard for now...
Initially I wanted it to be as original as possible, but I kind of like the slight differences...
Also, I checked sellmytretro and it looks like they have blank keyboards now. Would have been a better choice if I plan on using the USA overlay. ;-)
I gotta check that site out more often. ;-)

And I didn't have a ZX-Vid. I had a ZX8-CCB. (It was a while since I bought it, so I forgot.)

Installed it, and it works, but the output still isn't great on my Commodore composite CRT... Wavy at places. Looks to be color/brightness related.
When I tried 3D Monster Maze, facing the walls (darker?), it looks great. But facing a long hallway (brighter?), it's really wavy.
I was able to use the two dials on the CCB to try to tune it in a bit, but it never got great.
And didn't work at all on my LCD.
I do have a US ZX81 I haven't opened / modded, so I might open that one and swap ULAs (Hopefully they are both socketed) just to see if the ULA is OK.
The TS1000 ULA is a 210 and I think I read somewhere (probably here) that a bad ULA could cause issues...

Also, I modded it a while ago to use the channel selector to swap between 50/60 hz. So I suppose that could be at play.
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

I believe only the early ZX81 models had socketed ICs, and these were with ULAs without back porch.

The later models with corrected ULA seems to be soldered without sockets.
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

There are definitely some issue one boards that have the first ULA version soldered in. Most medium period boards have at least the ULA in a socket. It’s unusual to find all chips in sockets. Often the RAM is directly soldered. Later boards mostly have either all chips soldered directly, or just have the ULA in a socket. But anything is possible…

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Check out viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3312 for the photos of the inside of a random selection of zeddies.
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
desiv

Post by desiv »

I had put the TS1000 back together already, but unless I am mistaken (which is possible), I am pretty sure the ULA in that one was socketed.

I know the RAM was socketed. I cheated on my 16K upgrade and instead of desoldering the socket to replace it with a larger one, I just cut up a socket and added that to extend the existing socket. I know... but I was more worried about lifting pads as I desoldered and soldered than having a Frankenstein socket. ;-) It actually worked really well... I used an old dead chip to hold the socket in place while I soldered the extra socket part in. Hey, don't judge me!!! (OK, you can... ;-) )

I still need to open my ZX81 to check that guy...

I also need to take the TS1000 downstairs to the other TV (also a tube). Just to make sure it isn't just my monitors up here...

And I think (relying on my memory is a bad thing, but) that I had wavy video issues before this whole thing. Before the ZX8-CCB (when I was just using a transistor/resistor) and the RAM add. It's just that, with only 2K, I didn't notice it much. It is much more noticeable in 3D Monster Maze, but I think I remember seeing some wavyness in some of the 1k games I tried before this.
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

How far have you gone with tuning the ZX8-CCB?

This is my start position for fine tuning for all zeddies except for early non-back porch ULAs:

695C4386-C5B5-4517-BC9E-B80F34CC2154.jpeg

I have fitted (quite) a few of these and generally found this to be a good start point. Some have need some extreme tuning before getting a good picture.

Always take a photo of where you are now before adjusting…
ZX80
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
desiv

Post by desiv »

Always take a photo of where you are now before adjusting…
Uh Oh... ;-)

Thanx!

I tried adjusting them, but wasn't totally sure of the best method...
I know I could adjust the timing one (I think that is R1?) and go from no picture (or really really bad) on either side, and tried to just get to the best image. But I could never get it to where it was a totally straight image. (my last attempts were while running 3D Monster Maze)
The other dial seemed to adjust the "brightness" (??), but didn't seem to be as big of an effect.
I'll try to match your pic and go from there when I get a chance...
As for my adjustment attempts, do you think I should I try to get the best image with R1, and then adjust R2 to "fine tune" it, or should I be adjusting both to look for something?
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

To be honest I never really got what the two dials do but having fitted over 30 of them now (I think) I kind of just set them to the starting point and adjust both until the picture is solid.

So long as you know where you started don’t be afraid to experiment!

Also using a non-conducting screwdriver helps. Otherwise you may get it just right only to have it drift when you remove the screwdriver from dial.
ZX80
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
desiv

Post by desiv »

Lardo Boffin wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:13 pm Also using a non-conducting screwdriver helps. Otherwise you may get it just right only to have it drift when you remove the screwdriver from dial.
Yeah, I noticed that... ;-)

Also, I removed the bottom case on my ZX81 and the ULA there is also socketed.
So if need be, swapping them for testing won't be too bad...

That machine needs a new power jack (or I need to bend it back or something) and probably other stuff... I am sure it's keyboard ribbon will break when I take the board out too...
Should just order a replacement ahead of time.
I would also order a replacement power jack, as I see them on sellmyretro, but apparently that seller doesn't ship to the US.
That should motivate me to try to bend it back into shape when I get to that machine. ;-)