Weird memory fault

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
Orac

Weird memory fault

Post by Orac »

Added a 62256 to a ZX81 for the 16K internal memory upgrade but I’m having issues.

Here is a pic of the 62256 memory in a socket on the board, LK2 is in place, wires lead to the board:
1E22396A-A28A-43F7-B2DD-66B77CBBAFCD.jpeg
Here is what I see:
95C2A662-C83C-432C-BE2B-FAFD2A4667B2.jpeg
You can view a video of it here:

https://youtu.be/Yfr8rp579no

One thing to note, the machine works fine with a 16K RAM pack installed so it is working, just not with the internal memory.

I have two 62256 chips, one wired as recommended on ZX81.de here http://www.zx81.de/english/32k-rame.htm
But it didn’t work so I removed it.

It’s currently installed a different way, I think I saw that here. Same fault both ways.

So I’ve tried two 62256 chips, wired it two ways, both show the same issue.
But a ram pack works fine

Any help because I’m stuck.
Lardo Boffin

Re: Weird memory fault

Post by Lardo Boffin »

When an external RAM pack is plugged in the internal memory is not used.

I have a dead zeddy that works fine when a RAM pack is plugged in but otherwise won’t boot (I will be doing the 16K RAM internal mod to fix this).

Have you done the usual checks for solder splashes etc.? Also do you know for certain whether the RAM chips are working?
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

I notice the board looks like a ZX81 replica, does anyone know if that makes a difference?
IE wired slightly differently but works in the same way as a real board if anyone follows my meaning?

Sorry if that's not clear.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Moggy wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:39 am I notice the board looks like a ZX81 replica, does anyone know if that makes a difference?
IE wired slightly differently but works in the same way as a real board if anyone follows my meaning?

It depends on if the replica is wired with A0 to the A0 pin on the RAM, A1 to A1, A2 to A2 etc. Only the original Sinclair boards are not wired like this, they take advantage of the fact that it does not matter which address line from the Z80 goes to which address pin on the RAM chip, as long as the required number of lines are used. Same with the data bus D0 to D7 lines.

Can a photo of the underside be shown. Also a overhead photo of the board with no RAM chip fitted?

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Orac

Post by Orac »

Lardo Boffin wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:36 am When an external RAM pack is plugged in the internal memory is not used.

I have a dead zeddy that works fine when a RAM pack is plugged in but otherwise won’t boot (I will be doing the 16K RAM internal mod to fix this).

Have you done the usual checks for solder splashes etc.? Also do you know for certain whether the RAM chips are working?
I used the ram pack as a test to switch off the internal ram, yes.

I’ve checked for splashes, shorts that I can see. No, I don’t have a chip tester to check the ram.
Orac

Post by Orac »

Moggy wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:39 am I notice the board looks like a ZX81 replica, does anyone know if that makes a difference?

It’s an exact duplicate of an Issue 3 and others have it working.
Orac

Post by Orac »

1024MAK wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:51 pm It depends on if the replica is wired with A0 to the A0 pin on the RAM, A1 to A1, A2 to A2 etc. Only the original Sinclair boards are not wired like this, they take advantage of the fact that it does not matter which address line from the Z80 goes to which address pin on the RAM chip, as long as the required number of lines are used. Same with the data bus D0 to D7 lines.

Can a photo of the underside be shown. Also a overhead photo of the board with no RAM chip fitted?

Mark
The German mod wires the address lines correctly, the current mod does not but is a valid mod.

Neither work. Both give the same result.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Sorry, I was meaning the wiring of the PCB tracks. But you have since said that the PCB is an exact copy of an actual board, so the PCB tracks should be the same.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Orac

Post by Orac »

I’ve now removed the new ram and put in an HM6116 in the lower part of the socket and changed the link back to LK1.

That doesn’t work either. Lol

So it’s a memory fault on the board somewhere, any tips?

16k external ram pack still works so the address and data lines must be ok. What might not be?
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

It must be a broken PCB track or poor connection somewhere. Test using a multimeter (using the continuity range or the appropriate resistance range) between each RAM pin/socket pin to the relevant Z80 pin, or edge-connector contact, or the appropriate resistor (R7 to R14 for the eight data lines).

Also test from the /CS pin for the RAM to resistor R2, the value of R2 (should be 680 ohms) and from R2 to ULA pin 12.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!