ZX81 image problems

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
paulwilco

ZX81 image problems

Post by paulwilco »

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of restoring a zx81. I actually thought I had completed it!

I changed the RF for the composite pcb from zx renew which worked brilliantly. I then changed the keyboard as the ribbon was a bit damaged on the original. Everything was working perfectly until suddenly the screen changed to having dark vertical bands down it and when you type anything it generates a wierd triangular shape below the text, I've tried to capture it in the photo. The vertical bands are difficult to see in the picture.

I can't really pin point what I did when the screen changed. It's possible that my son accidently pulled the power jack out of the side of the computer. Can't imagine this would cause this though.

Any help greatfully received!

Paul
IMG_20220102_170822.jpg
1024MAK

Re: ZX81 image problems

Post by 1024MAK »

What PSU are you using?

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
paulwilco

Post by paulwilco »

Hi Mark,

I'm using an original zx power supply, it says uk700 on the sticker.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Okay, do you have a multimeter? If yes, with the ZX81 case open, and it connected up and powered up, can you test the DC voltage across the solder pads of the 9V power input socket. Use the 20V DC voltage range.

The voltage here should normally be between around 10V to 12V.

Also, it’s unlikely to make any difference, but if possible can you try the ZX81 with another TV?

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Is your composite board this one Image or this one Image or a different one?

If it’s either of the above types, have you tried adjusting the two adjustable resistors (presets) (the two components with white coloured discs with slots). You will need a small flat bladed screwdriver unless you have a something that is non-metallic such as a proper adjusting tool.

Note: before adjusting either of them, take a photo first, so you know where they were set to before. Then make very small adjustments to one, try in each direction. If that does not help, adjust it back to its starting position, then try adjusting the other one.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
paulwilco

Post by paulwilco »

I thought I would test the supply on its own first at the jack before plugging it back in to the computer. It's reading 14.8v. Seems a bit bit high, could this be causing the problems?
Paul

Post by Paul »

The voltage is okay without load.
Can you please check the voltage with the voltmeter set to AC?
This will show if your capacitors ar within specification
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
paulwilco

Post by paulwilco »

I have the second board. I have adjusted the two potentiometers but it doesn't make any difference unfortunately
paulwilco

Post by paulwilco »

The voltmeter shows 31.8v when set to read ac
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

paulwilco wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:59 am I thought I would test the supply on its own first at the jack before plugging it back in to the computer. It's reading 14.8v. Seems a bit bit high, could this be causing the problems?
That’s actually slightly low compared to mine, which when unloaded (not connected to a computer) typically produce 15V to 16V. But then the mains voltage where I am is slightly above the normal figure.

Because they are unregulated, the actual output voltage depends on how much current is being drawn. Only when the rated current (700mA) is being drawn will the output voltage be near to 9V.
paulwilco wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:20 pm The voltmeter shows 31.8v when set to read ac
Ahh, your multimeter does not block the DC level when switched to the AC range. Please disregard that 31.8V result. It’s not a true representation.

We still need to know the DC voltage with it connected to the ZX81.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!