Strange ZX81.....

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
Prime

Strange ZX81.....

Post by Prime »

Ok just got a recently purchased ebay ZX81

Issue 3 board, 2C210E ULA, 2x2114 RAM, the unusual thing is the ROM, it's an Eprom and not a mask programmed rom.

I suspect it's a 2764, as it is marked 64K ZX81, and RTI8248 (date code), but has the TI logo on it also.
The eprom has patch wires connecting pins 2 and 22 to GND and pin 27 to a track on the mainboard (/ROMCS' ).
Pins 2, 22 and 27 are not inserted in the socket.

I somewhat suspect that this is a later machine being an issue 3, the box it came in has no end pieces just a cardboard tube round the polys.
It also came with an issue 3 rampack which is currently non-working, does anyone happen to have the schematic for it ? this interestingly
enough has a small ULA in it too, I gues to do the refresh and /RAS /CAS multiplexing, hopefully that's not what has died !

Cheers.

Phill.
Andy Rea

Re: Strange ZX81.....

Post by Andy Rea »

With that ram pack i'd start by checking the voltage rails, old electrolytic capacitors have a habbit of 'drying' out and loose the ability to work as a capacitor.

i'd imagine that the circuit bottom right as you look at the component side is similar to the original

ftp://ftp.worldofspectrum.org/pub/sincl ... matics.png

looks like that mini ula is replacing the refresh counter and most of the multiplexing...

Regards Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
Prime

Post by Prime »

Andy Rea wrote:With that ram pack i'd start by checking the voltage rails, old electrolytic capacitors have a habbit of 'drying' out and loose the ability to work as a capacitor.
Yep done that all present and correct +5, +12, -5 IIRC one of the most common fault on spectrums is the similar voltage generator circuit failing, usually TR4 + TR5 so was first thing I checked :)
might also re-solder the expansion connector and check continuity as it does also look a bit dodgy :(
i'd imagine that the circuit bottom right as you look at the component side is similar to the original

ftp://ftp.worldofspectrum.org/pub/sincl ... matics.png

looks like that mini ula is replacing the refresh counter and most of the multiplexing...
Well the LS157 is still there, but I would imagine the ULA is replacing the rest, should be possible to cook up a GAL/PLD/LS replacement in any case.

Cheers,

Phill.
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

If you're going that far why not just replace the RAM with a 32k static chip?

C
Prime

Post by Prime »

sirmorris wrote:If you're going that far why not just replace the RAM with a 32k static chip?
In practical terms yes, especially as I already have the static->zx81 ram socket boards made :)

But from the point of view that I hate having non functioning equipment hen, plus this is the only official Sinclair unit I have so would be nice to have it working.....

Cheers.

Phill.
iturbez

Post by iturbez »

Prime wrote:In practical terms yes, especially as I already have the static->zx81 ram socket boards made
Can you show us this board, please?
Prime

Post by Prime »

Dammit looks like the ULA is faulty, I'm not getting a /RAS signal out of it oh well.

Looks like it's back to ebay then :(

Cheers.

Phill.