Andy Rea's original ULA design blog/schematic.

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
Moggy

Re: Andy Rea's original ULA design blog/schematic.

Post by Moggy »

Having been in recent touch with Andy I can confirm what Paul has stated that Andy no longer takes part in the zeddy community, sadly.
DaveR

Post by DaveR »

Does anyone know why the video output mixer/combiner uses 160 and 750 ohms resistors?

I tried 4 different TVs and a composite video to HDMI convertor box and could not get a stable picture.

I changed the resistors to 470 and 1k ohms - as used on the Arduino (and probably other!) composite video tutorials - I now have a perfectly stable picture.

Thanks,
Dave
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Maybe those values worked okay with the display that Andy used.

Each different TV or monitor is slightly different, so what works fine on one may not work okay on another. Especially as the ZX81 can never produce a broadcast standard signal.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
DaveR

Post by DaveR »

Maybe I have just been unlucky - but also surprised that several google searches have found no-one else with the same issue.
My photo of the board has a date stamp of August 2018 but I have only recently been motivated enough to find a fix.
I also had to blow a new EEPROM using an Arduino to get the machine running. Would have been easier with a Mega but only had an Uno at the time. But it seems to be working fine now.
Regards,
Dave