Filesixty Keyboard

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
Moggy

Re: Filesixty Keyboard

Post by Moggy »

David G wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:14 am

Is it the keys that are made of hard plastic, or the entire framework of the stick-on keyboard?
Frame,keys sprung "nubbings" all hard plastic.
David G

Post by David G »

Lardo Boffin wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:55 am Here is the underside of one of the soft rubber type keyboards ...
Ah, now i get it. Totally different from the white-key version. This version is like the keypad membrane on a modern TV remote
avrovulcan

Post by avrovulcan »

I remember this.

I had one fitted just before I got my Memotech Keyboard.

If I can ever find the original case for my ZX81, (for some unknown reason I took the case off ???) it should still be attached.
TMAOne

Post by TMAOne »

I have this one in my collection:
04.jpg
My opinion? It is a definite positive improvement over the flat membrane, but of course no where near as nice as a full keyboard. My unit is attached with 2-sided tape which I feel may be a tad on the thick side, requiring a too-hard keypress to make positive connections, but I've been too lazy to re-do it.

I treat like gold my full keyboard, bought back in the 80's.
02.jpg
There is just no comparison with that one.

I know folks who have had good success with keyboards transplanted from scrapped Texas Instruments TI99/4A's. I had one raw piece but I gave it away to a friend to intends to Zeddy it.
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

TMAOne wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:23 pm I treat like gold my full keyboard, bought back in the 80's.
I see you have a ROM selector. So that changes between ROMs in 0-8k address.

However Z80 Assembler runs on address 8-16k. How is this achieved?
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
TMAOne

Post by TMAOne »

mrtinb wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:53 am How is this achieved?
It is not.

The ROM switcher was an experiment which has not worked out for other reasons. When I was preparing to burn the actual ROM chip, I simply gathered together 8 images, (unfamiliar with almost all of them), to try out. The key guide stuck on the corner is moot I'm afraid.

The larger reference is for RAM swapping. I load up TK (toolkit), ZXAS, and Arctic's ZXBug into the 2nd 16K of RAM provided by the ZX-Team mod, and reserve enough space above RAMTOP for the largest of the three. Then I swap in whichever product I want at the time.

That part works. I wrote most of it in the 80's, following the development of a BASIC (& some machine code I had help with) "lock picker" I'd developed because I was tired of having no backup tape for TK. (In truth, I did, because my Scrubber-Dubber let me make direct copies, but hey, there was principle involved! :lol:) I recall having a lot of fun developing the tool, but not actually using it much. By the time it was complete there were other development platforms besides the actual Zeddy, and my continued interest in Assembler(s) has never blossomed into actually learning to use it.
Orac

Post by Orac »

Anyone have any experience of sticking one of these down?

What’s a good modern adhesive strip that fits and sticks well?

What have you actually used on your ZX81?
TMAOne

Post by TMAOne »

I used two strips of double-sided adhesive foam, but I don't remember where I got the stuff. A caution however: the foam I used was perhaps a tiny bit too thick, requiring the maximum key travel the board can manage, and a very firm press to register properly. I've never revised it, but if I had to do it over again I'd look for the thinnest foam I could find, or perhaps even try "tape". Good luck.
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Just got one of these:

IMG_3734.jpeg
IMG_3738.jpeg
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

The stiff "finger hurty" version before they brought out the much better neoprene improvement, I had three of those and binned all three.
Thank god for Fuller and Karl's "clicky" jobbies. :lol: