SD81 Booster

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
Paul

Re: SD81 Booster

Post by Paul »

wilco2009 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:07 pm I have not tested yet with this ROM, but in theory it is possible to test BigBang ROM just using LOAD FAST "zx81x2.rom". It will load the ROM an will reset the system with the new ROM.
Unfortunatelly this ROM has not extensions to use the SD.
It could change in the future if I contact with the BigBang ROM author.
Is it possible to use extensions via RAND USR or PRINT USR in the 8-16K area?

Is it possible to load a 16K ROM into 0-16K with LOAD FAST "SPONZY.ROM"? (Which is a spectrum ROM adapted for ZX81)
Or via another trick?
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
wilco2009

Post by wilco2009 »

Paul wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:25 pm
wilco2009 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:07 pm I have not tested yet with this ROM, but in theory it is possible to test BigBang ROM just using LOAD FAST "zx81x2.rom". It will load the ROM an will reset the system with the new ROM.
Unfortunatelly this ROM has not extensions to use the SD.
It could change in the future if I contact with the BigBang ROM author.
Is it possible to use extensions via RAND USR or PRINT USR in the 8-16K area?

Is it possible to load a 16K ROM into 0-16K with LOAD FAST "SPONZY.ROM"? (Which is a spectrum ROM adapted for ZX81)
Or via another trick?
Yes, I have tested it and the SPONZY rom works fine.
I can't understand your first question. Do you want to use RAND USR to use SD functionality?
It is possible, but it is difficult to manage the parameters. I could try to think of some example of the method.
The SD functionality is still there and can be used from the assembler as indicated in the manual.
If you were referring to using the 8-16K area for your own functionality, of course there is no problem, since it is a read-write area, but be careful not to crush the bottom part, which is where the interface routines are located. In any case, the only thing you would have to do to return to normal would be to press reset.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I'm going to reread the manual then.
Yes I am interested in using the SD functionality in unsupported ROMs
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Hello wilco2009,

I’m interested in your SD81 Booster. I would like one with a case.

I’m in the U.K.
I’ll send you a PM.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
wilco2009

Post by wilco2009 »

https://codeberg.org/Retrostuff/SD81-Bo ... ontent/SYS

I have added the modified BigBang ROMs to the SDCONTENT\SYS folder to work with all the interface functions.
Paul

Post by Paul »

wilco2009 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:21 am https://codeberg.org/Retrostuff/SD81-Bo ... ontent/SYS

I have added the modified BigBang ROMs to the SDCONTENT\SYS folder to work with all the interface functions.
Great! Thanks a lot!
wilco2009

Post by wilco2009 »

1024MAK wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:08 am Hello wilco2009,

I’m interested in your SD81 Booster. I would like one with a case.

I’m in the U.K.
I’ll send you a PM.

Mark
Ok, you are in the list. When we have enough people for a new batch, I will contact you.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

wilco2009 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:36 pm Ok, you are in the list. When we have enough people for a new batch, I will contact you.
👍 8-)

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
wilco2009

Post by wilco2009 »

The H.É.R.O. already works, but both the CPLD and the arduino must be updated.
To update the CPLD the method is the same as the previous time:

- Copy the file SD81CPLD.XSVF to the root of the SD, insert the card and power up the zx81
- The status LED will begin to flash warning that the CPLD is going to begin programming for a few seconds, warning that we must not remove power from the equipment until the end of the process.
- After about 5 seconds it will start with a slower flashing that will progressively change the color of the LED from red to green.
- When the process is finished, the LED will remain solid green, after which we can do a reset so that it starts normally. (on the SD the file that we have copied will have been renamed to SD81CPLD.DONE)

To update the arduino, you must follow the instructions of the technical manual (SD81 Booster TECHNICAL DOCUMENTATION.md) located in the DOC folder in the section "UPDATING THE FIRMWARE"
Updating the SD81 Booster with a new firmware version is as simple as connecting it with a micro-USB cable to a PC and executing a simple command.

Remove the SD81 Booster from the console and connect the Arduino micro-USB port to the PC, the Arduino driver should install and appear as a new CH340 COM port in the system.

The number of the COM port needs to be known and this can be determined by looking in the "Bluetooth and other devices" window of the Control Panel like this:

![Serial Ports](img/arduino003.png)
If there are problems finding the correct number of the port then there is a utility called "LISTCOM.EXE" included in the repository that will list all the COM ports available on the PC, test each of these to find the correct port.

Once the port is known proceed to run the flashing utility `FLASH.BAT`, having already copied the required `.HEX` firmware file to the same directory as the utility.

The syntax of the utility is as follows:

FLASH `[COMPORT] < file >`

For example, to load the file `update.HEX` through the COM7 port, execute the following command on the PC:
` FLASH COM7 update.HEX`
*Note:* DO NOT INTERRUPT THE FLASHING PROCEDURE - Wait for the flashing operation to finish, after which the *SD81 Booster* will automatically reset.
The file to use is "V2\Arduino\flash tools\SD81BoosterV2.020.hex"
wilco2009

Post by wilco2009 »

Updated instructions to upgrade the firmware from Linux
Install avrdude with the command
sudo apt install avrdude

Try to uninstall brltty from the system, because it interferes with the CH340 chip driver.
sudo apt-get remove --auto-remove --purge brltty

Remove the SD81 Booster from the console and connect the Arduino micro-USB port to the PC, the Arduino driver should install and appear as a new CH340 COM port in the system.
ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0

Use the following command to update the firmware, replacing <filename> with the name of the firmware file:
avrdude -patmega2560 -cwiring -P/dev/ttyUSB0 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:SD81BoosterV2.020.hex:i

Wait until the operation is completed.