Is this a dying ferranti?

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
msknight

Is this a dying ferranti?

Post by msknight »

Was booting to K, but now getting this and an occasional black screen. I'm assuming the ferranti is on its way out?
Attachments
IMG_7840.jpg
msknight

Re: Is this a dying ferranti?

Post by msknight »

After leaving for a while, and trying again, I'm now getting a fully white screen, but no K.
msknight

Post by msknight »

Done the logic tests, seems fine except A14 and A15 on the processor. On the known working zeddy, these pulse slow enough for me to see the LED change. Not on this one. It's pulsing, but the pulsing indicator LED is solid.

Possibly RAM?
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

I'm sure Mark will be along to solve this one when he reads it so all I can offer is that the only time I've had the "snowy" screen effect as in your picture is when I've not supplied enough voltage to a Zeddy fitted with a switching regulator. They are either on or off I find unlike the linear regs that will give at a least a picture albeit with a black wavy line running top to bottom due to being under voltage.

Just a thought nothing more and probably the wrong one. :oops:
msknight

Post by msknight »

I waited a while and just fired it up again and it came back to a K prompt. A print peek of 3901 returned 253, so likely a 649 bios.
Last edited by msknight on Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

The Mostek versions usually are.

If it is the socketed motherboard issue one we are talking about then perhaps a clean of the chip pins and a reseat may improve things. :D

EDIT.

Forgot to add that Mostek chip pins tend to tarnish far more readily than other chips in my experience so the above may help the ROM at least which, judging by your picture of that board, the ROM pins look almost black or is that just bad lighting?
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

A black screen or "static" is normally a problem with the video circuitry, which may include the ULA.

A white screen without an inverse K, can be a problem with any of the chips. But normally is either a RAM problem or ROM problem. Also possible is a processor problem, an address, control or data line fault (including open circuit or short circuit faults) or a partial ULA failure.

If the fault is intermittent, as Moggy suggests, check the chips in sockets. Also check the soldering in case there is a dry, cracked or broken solder joint or PCB pad/track (trace).

A poor 9V connection can cause erratic operation and strange faults as well. So check that. And the solder joints for the 7805.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
msknight

Post by msknight »

Thanks for the advice.

What's the best way to clean chip pins and the sockets please? ie. safest, least damage risk.

Poor 9v connection? We're talking the jack socket, or possible 7805 failure? How would I check this please?
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Personally I use a fibreglass stick of the kind used by coin collectors and/or polishing electrical power tool commutators, for the pins.
The sockets I find in general to be ok as is and generally clean enough , except for those types with the really tiny holes where the pins just fit, as found on some ZX80s, the socket internals tarnish very easily in those types in my experience.

There will be other methods I'm sure that those who use them will post about.
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

I use one of these, only cost a few pounds -

IMG_5448.jpeg

Random example :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111741724919 ... media=COPY

Sounds the same as Moggy’s suggestion.

You may be able to get it clean enough just by removing the chip and replacing it a few times but that can be risky.

Maybe a pen eraser?
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA