Replacement ZX80 Cases

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
The_Bert

Re: Replacement ZX80 Cases

Post by The_Bert »

Hi i was just browsing, but when i stumbled across this thread i just had to register, so i could tell you guys about the Bulgarian guy who sells a complete kit of parts for a ZX80 Replica, minus case, as i thought it would be of interest.

You can see the kit here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291048518621? ... 1436.l2649

Cheers, Berty ;)
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

HI Berty - welcome to the forums...

We had already spotted the ZX80 kit - see http://sinclairzxworld.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1251

You can also get it on SellMyRetro - http://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/detail ... a-Kit-3582

There is also the ZX80Core - see http://sinclairzxworld.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1134

I understand that Pokemon will be offering some more of these later in the month
blittled

Post by blittled »

I have access to a 3D printer that a friend owns. I was wondering if there are any 3D printer layouts of the Z80 case that can be used on a Makerbot II.
2X Timex Sinclair 1000, ZX81, ZX80Core, 5X 16K Ram Pack, ZXBlast, ZX P file to Ear Input Signal Converter, Elf II
commie

Post by commie »

Hi Guys,

Thought I'd just drop in for a chat, why bother with manufacturing zx80 cases?, yes I know what zx80 fetch on ebay but surely it would be make more sense to manufacture zx81 cases and pcb's. Lets face it, the zx81 is functionally a better micro than the zx80.

My current plans are coding the ula into a 44plcc atf1502 cpld, it's hard taxing work but I'm convinced I'll have a working model soon, if I'm successfull, I'll redesign the pcb to take the 44plcc cpld chip as well as include 32k ram and cvideo as standard, no more rampack wobble.
Keyboards are available but what about zx81 cases?

Cheers for now
Commie.
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

commie wrote: Lets face it, the zx81 is functionally a better micro than the zx80.
In fact there is no big difference between ZX80 and ZX81 except the circuit for generating NMIs.
Anyway good luck for your project.
There is a new project on the german ZX board with building up a new ZX81 with ULA build with discrete logic ICs (ZX81NU).
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

I think the point is that ZX81 cases (and ZX81s) are very easy to find second hand at low prices - there are several ZX80 motherboard replacements, and the original cases tend to be cracked, chipped or modified, which increases the call for a replacement case.

In reality having a ZX80 in a new replacement case, will not increase its value to a collector, as it would not be a Sinclair case - but for the purposes of display and use - a replacement case is a very good idea.

From the ZX81 perspective - if a new replacement motherboard is released which is purely ZX81, then yes, this would ideally also need a case - but at the moment, there does not appear to be the demand for replacement ZX81 cases.
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

Yes and you can buy non-working ZX81 machines often for a price of about 10 EUR/GBP and use at least the case.
Working models are offered mostly in the range of 20-30 EUR/GBP - so this is more a DIY or fun project as there is not really a lack of ZX81s.

@commie
But this shouldn't stop your project - you can learn a lot yourself and I am sure you will find several people using the FPGA variant as well. ;)
commie

Post by commie »

PokeMon wrote: In fact there is no big difference between ZX80 and ZX81.
Hi PokeMon,

For me, the big difference between the zx81 Vs zx80 is that the zx81 supports 32-bit floating point math whilst the zx80 only supports integer numbers. Sure, the zx80 is faster than than the zx81 but that is understandable, I'd rather have slightly slower machine with fp than without.

BTW, PokeMon, thanks for giving my project a spur, it's lonely work, much appreciated, thanks.

Cheers
Commie
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

commie wrote:For me, the big difference between the zx81 Vs zx80 is that the zx81 supports 32-bit floating point math whilst the zx80 only supports integer numbers. Sure, the zx80 is faster than than the zx81 but that is understandable, I'd rather have slightly slower machine with fp than without.
Hi Commie

Welcome to the forum :D

That's just the code in the ROM. You can use a ZX81 ROM in a ZX80 (but of course SLOW mode will not work due to the different hardware).

Good luck with your project :D

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Welcome to the forum Berty :D

Please stick around and enjoy yourself :P

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.