ZX81 keyboard and modulator fix

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
RetroGamerVX

ZX81 keyboard and modulator fix

Post by RetroGamerVX »

Hi all,

I've just got my long dead ZX81 running again after fixing both the keyboard and modulator. As I run a YouTube channel, I've put the video on it :o)

Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAYWHquIn64
Moggy

Re: ZX81 keyboard and modulator fix

Post by Moggy »

Welcome RetroGamer

Nice Vid another Zeddie back on the road :D

Not sure about the wax though, flashdash or cockpit shine less messy :lol:

Regards.
Moggy
makeit2day

Post by makeit2day »

I have done ZX membrane fix several times. I found easier to use a good pair of sisors, makes it faster to do the fix.
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

makeit2day wrote:I have done ZX membrane fix several times. I found easier to use a good pair of sisors, makes it faster to do the fix.

Scissors are better - they do at least ensure you have a straight edge - plus you don't end up scoring the inside of the ZX81 case... ;)

Unfortunately, there are only so many times you can trim the end of the keyboard membrane tails before it makes putting the ZX81 back together very difficult and then you need a new membrane.
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Yaay another one saved!

Congrats :)
PrimitivePerson

Post by PrimitivePerson »

My son was a bit panic-stricken the other day when keys 1 to 4 on my ZX81 gave up the ghost, so I ordered one of the new membranes - I fitted it today. Very simple job, really, and I had it working first time.

The new membranes are a really impressive match for the original - there's differences so tiny that you'd only notice if you were a real hardcore anorak. :) Anyway, it was fun cracking open the ZX81 and showing my son the innards...

Lee
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

Thanks for the positive feedback - to some extent the new membrane had to be slightly different, for the hard core collectors who only want the original!