Westridge 2050/Timex Sinclair 2050 Modem

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
questarian

Westridge 2050/Timex Sinclair 2050 Modem

Post by questarian »

I was digging out some my old equipment from the attic at my parents place... which is a retro computer fest in and of itself, as I'd forgotten a lot of the stuff I picked at flea markets 15-20 years ago... when I ran across something I'd forgotten about..

I can't remember if this was and eBay purchase or flea market find, I believe around 1998-1999, It was a box 3 of Westridge 2050/Timex Sinclair 2050 modem boards.. which according to the paperwork with it was sold (1985) as a 4 board "Hackers Special", (two non-tested/doa and two working, plus some cables and such).. someone did a fairly nice job of putting one of the boards in a project case.

Has anyone played with one of these?
BrunoFlorindo

Re: Westridge 2050/Timex Sinclair 2050 Modem

Post by BrunoFlorindo »

The folks at the TS2068 Yahoo group have mentioned that modem a few times. I've seen it mentioned many times in American TS newsletters and magazines (projects, schematics, modifications, etc.). Never had a chance to try mine and I was told I wouldn't be able to connect it to anything. Same with the ByteBack modem.

Now that we have the Spectranet for the ZX Spectrum and something similar exists (or is being worked on) for the ZX81, the interest in modems is almost non-existent.
sboisvert

Re: Westridge 2050/Timex Sinclair 2050 Modem

Post by sboisvert »

My dad collected a few 'bare bones' ones (without casing), and I recall my brother buying one from a fellow TS2068 user, which he had modified to include various lights in the front panel (to add the usual lights visible on most later external modems).