Looking for ZX81 (preferably in UK) to ship to RWAP Software

ZX80 / ZX81 hardware and software offered for sale or swapping
gozzo

Re: Looking for ZX81 (preferably in UK) to ship to RWAP Soft

Post by gozzo »

The D2364C ROM 'may' be a problem as this is a NEC part and is the supposedly slow one.(all my ZX81's except one with an EPROM(?!) have these.. :( )
tdg8934

Post by tdg8934 »

I was planning on swapping the roms between the TS1000s and using the Motorola Rom with the ULA-2 and ZXpand and AY card so this should be good. The other TS1000 will just be a normal one with the video circuit added in and 16k ram module. I do have to replace its power jack also. Should be in good shape.

Tim
Paul

Post by Paul »

1024MAK wrote:
RWAP wrote:I may have a power connector - I shall check - aren't they the same as the ear and mic connectors?
Yes, all three are the same type. If you have problems getting hold of them, PokeMon on this forum has found a supply (as used on his ZX80 Core - new ZX80 motherboards) that I think are the same, his post is here, the item you want is "Stück CLIFF CL1382 (3.5mm jack - exactly original like in the Sinclair ZX80)". This may of course be enough info to get one locally :mrgreen:

Mark
Please excuse me for being a little picky.
The cliff cl1382 Pokemon uses in his zx80core are the zx81 type. The zx80 type does not have pins for printed circuit boards but instead they have round "rings" to solder wire to it. Therefore the holes in the original ZX80 board are huge. As this would have used too much space on pokemon's board (he has additional holes for another type of connector) he uses ZX81 style connectors. The top part of it identical. This is ideal for your use in a ZX81 board.
Hth
Paul
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
tdg8934

Post by tdg8934 »

Thank you for the clarification Paul. Good to know!

I have a new one to ship soon from RWAP Software for my TS1000. Now hopefully a little solder, wire wick, etc. will allow me to remove the old one without too much trouble (as I saw the black plastic on the side of it started to break off when examined).

Tim
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

Er. yeah sorry, only the Motorola type of ROMs that i have tested seem to be able to keep up with the CPU running at 6.5Mhz, the others mostly don't work at all or frequently crash after a few seconds, Like i said if your planning on using the Motorola ROM with the ULA-2 then you don't need to connect the wait signal, If your going to be using the ZXpand + AY sound module, you will also need to connect the 3.25Mhz signal ( keep sound chip at constant speed even when CPU speed may be changing )

regards Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

Paul wrote: The cliff cl1382 Pokemon uses in his zx80core are the zx81 type. The zx80 type does not have pins for printed circuit boards but instead they have round "rings" to solder wire to it. Therefore the holes in the original ZX80 board are huge.
First, in my board ZX80CORE the CL1384 are used, same type as in the ZX81.
The CL1382 are with bigger contacts for wiring cables to it and are not made for printed circuit boards and have been used with the ZX80.

The oval shape of the contacts are not good for using it in PCBs.
They can not be simply drilled or if drilled with a very big diameter it is problematical to solder them with many space around them.
They do not need more space on the board.
They could be milled out oval instead of drilling but this is not an easy step with a small milling diameter and not every PCB manufacturer offer this as standard, same maybe with extra cost.

See more about differences here:
http://www.cliffuk.co.uk/products/jacks ... js2535.htm