CB2 micro KIT - Build your own BASIC color microcomputer within 30 minutes.

ZX80 / ZX81 hardware and software offered for sale or swapping
msch
Site Admin

Re: CB2 micro KIT - Build your own BASIC color microcomputer within 30 minutes.

Post by msch »

Some extensions are very usefull, i.e. the Dataflash to store programs or the memory extension, the Printer connector, the serial interface.
Maybe it is possible to design a pcb with most/all options onboard and the user can decide (via jumperfield?) which option he will finally use / or which parts he will populate.
I think the costs of the pcb is not the critical part... our friends in asia offer a lot of cheap possibilities. ;-)
Only a suggestion ...
Mathias

ZX-Team member and classic computer collector
neazoi

Post by neazoi »

msch wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:02 pm Some extensions are very usefull, i.e. the Dataflash to store programs or the memory extension, the Printer connector, the serial interface.
Maybe it is possible to design a pcb with most/all options onboard and the user can decide (via jumperfield?) which option he will finally use / or which parts he will populate.
I think the costs of the pcb is not the critical part... our friends in asia offer a lot of cheap possibilities. ;-)
Only a suggestion ...
That is what I have thought initially. In fact, there are lots of unused pads already on the PCB just for this. For example, there is no composite video connector, but there is a pad on the PCB where you can solder a cable and an RCA connector to get, grayscale composite video out of it.
Want to hear a funny story?
When I sent the PCBs for fabrication these companies did 10x10 panels, so I thought if I squeeze two CB2 micros in this 10x10 panel, I could half the cost, which would make the KIT cheaper for people too. You can't imagine how many of these decisions one has to take if he has to cut down the cost without cut down features!
There are well thought KITS of course and also not well thought :)
neazoi

Post by neazoi »

neazoi wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:58 pm I am now testing these:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32858555968.html
These should do the conversion fine
I can confirm that this converter is working fine on my setup (numerous homecomputers).

This one is technical the same:
ligawo-scart-hdmi.jpg
I have another (from 2011) converter that I tested yesterday with a Robotron KC87 RGB-SCART-Cable:
IMG_3612.JPG
IMG_3613.JPG
IMG_3614.JPG
It is working like a charm.
neazoi

Post by neazoi »

Hi,
I have made progress on the LAN networking for the CB2 micros. See here
http://cb2.qrp.gr/extensions/index.html ... ea_Network
Networking works as designed!

I am going to test the rest of the cases but it's really fun to see all the computers in the LAN to communicate to each other!

Have fun
neazoi

Post by neazoi »

Hi,
I have just completed all the networking scenarios for the CB2 micro.
In this last example http://cb2.qrp.gr/extensions/#3.2.4_Con ... icros_a_PC three CB2 micros are connected together with a PC and a dial-up modem in the same network and sharing data.
Enjoy!
Attachments
DSC01927.JPG
neazoi

Post by neazoi »

CB2 micro KIT unboxing by Dave (eevblog)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgp5BOQEeAs

Thanks Dave!
RobertK

Post by RobertK »

Last weekend I built my CB2 micro, and it worked on the first attempt!

I decided to document my work, so here is my *first ever* Youtube video:

https://youtu.be/1oPnbR4Rc40

Two things that you should know before you build yours:

1. Apply *a lot* of solder to the upper side Mini-USB pads and its body sides. I applied too little, so the front of it soon came loose.

2. When you build your kit, solder two rows of three pins (not included in the kit) for the serial cable jumpers J2-J5, then you can easily select the cable type by setting two jumpers.

Next step for me will be getting used to Basic again and writing some software for the CB2...
Last edited by RobertK on Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neazoi

Post by neazoi »

Hi Robert!
Thanks for making and sharing this video with the rest of us.
I really enjoyed watching this, thumbs up! When you have any other videos I am sure everyone would love to watch. Read the manual and enjoy every bit of your CB2 micro!

Ps. I have also uploaded the video to the CB2 micro channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf0XQt ... P3YWLcO3XQ
RobertK

Post by RobertK »

I have now released my first CB2 game: it is a port of my game H-Tron that I released two years ago for the ZX81 and since then for many more Z80-based systems.

Now I have entirely rewritten it in BASIC. The CB2 version provides only one-player mode (which is the most important mode anyway), I had to leave out two-player and demo mode to make the game fit into 95 BASIC lines.

The game is available from the CB2 programs page and the H-Tron Sourceforge repository.

2020-03-28_H-Tron_CB2Micro_600px.jpg
neazoi

Post by neazoi »

RobertK wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:33 pm I have now released my first CB2 game: it is a port of my game H-Tron that I released two years ago for the ZX81 and since then for many more Z80-based systems.

Now I have entirely rewritten it in BASIC. The CB2 version provides only one-player mode (which is the most important mode anyway), I had to leave out two-player and demo mode to make the game fit into 95 BASIC lines.

The game is available from the CB2 programs page and the H-Tron Sourceforge repository.
I have just played your game, amazing!
Thanks so much for your time on this!
The rotational control is a weird experience for me, but it can be easily get used to and it adds a bit to the difficulty of the game.

We are looking forward to see more programs for the CB2.
Note on the website that I am offering refunds for people at do work on the CB2, either software or hardware, so keep up the good work! :)))
Enjoy!!