Info value Zx80

ZX80 / ZX81 hardware and software offered for sale or swapping
visind

Info value Zx80

Post by visind »

Hello everyone and congratulations for this fantastic forum. I would like to satisfy a trivial curiosity.
What is approximately the value of a Specrtum Zx80 in perfect/excellent condition?
Obviously including power supply and original cables. On eBay there is an average quotation of 500 euros, is it realistic? Also, do you think the value could increase over time?
Thank you all for the support!
1024MAK

Re: Info value Zx80

Post by 1024MAK »

visind wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:18 am Hello everyone and congratulations for this fantastic forum. I would like to satisfy a trivial curiosity.
What is approximately the value of a Specrtum Zx80 in perfect/excellent condition?
Obviously including power supply and original cables. On eBay there is an average quotation of 500 euros, is it realistic? Also, do you think the value could increase over time?
Thank you all for the support!
Hello visind,

I’ve moved your topic to the sales area of the forum.

There is no such thing as a Spectrum ZX80. I presume you actually mean a Sinclair ZX80. Sinclair produced and sold a number of different models, including the ZX80, ZX81 and then the ZX Spectrum.

Sinclair ZX80 computers in good condition do normally get sold on market places like eBay or similar, for hundreds of Euros (or equivalent in other currencies). If in excellent condition, a price of €500 would not surprise me. Especially if the seller is aiming at “collectors”.

The price of ‘retro’ computers has, generally, been rising over the last ten years. However, it’s not possible to know how long this will continue. At some point, the number of buyers will decline and prices will drop. Some countries are close to, or have entered a period of economic recession (decline) which may also affect prices.

My advice is to never spend more than you can afford. I don’t consider my ‘retro’ computers to be investments.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
visind

Post by visind »

First of all thanks for the very prompt reply.
Actually, I would be the party interested in selling.
I dug up The Little Jewel in the Attic and it belonged to my father.
I have not had the opportunity to test it but I see that it is in perfect condition.
I'm tempted to sell it as I wouldn't appreciate its real value compared to those who are perhaps passionate about it.
Attachments
IMG20221103150313.jpg
IMG20221102193853.jpg
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

So for the best price, it’s best to include photos of it working. Photos from all angles and directions. And if there are any imperfections or damage, include details in the description.

Obviously it helps if you have the manual, other documentation, PSU and cables originally supplied (or replacements, but if you are including replacements, say so).

And any extra accessories also help.

Sunday afternoons or early evenings are a popular time for auctions to finish.

I would normally suggest offering it on these forums first, but you will likely get more money for it on eBay.

If you do decide to offer it in more than one place, and that includes this forum, please do make this clear so that there are no misunderstandings.

The sellers on eBay that have buy it now items for high prices often have to wait weeks, months or years to sell at those high prices.

Use the filter on eBay to select ‘sold items’ or ‘completed items’ to see what items recently sold for.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
visind

Post by visind »

Perfect! Thanks for all!
visind

Post by visind »

Taking advantage of your availability 🤣 I would like to ask you two things:
1) So I would like to test it. Do I simply need a CRT TV and the supplied RF cable? Do I turn on the TV and just search for the channel? Do I have to follow some steps or is it that easy? Today I will try to find a CRT TV.
2) I saw that all expired eBay listings had the classic white plastic packaging. I have not seen any with the black leather case. Do you know if this in my possession is a particular version?

Thanks again for your availability
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

The TV channel frequency is ‘channel 36’ or thereabouts for U.K./European ZX80 computers.

Yes, you connect it up to its PSU, connect the RF lead to the aerial input for the TV and try to manually tune (analogue tuner). The automatic tuning is often useless in finding the output from the computer.

A CRT TV is recommended, especially a basic model. It may work with some LCD TVs. But it’s pot luck…

I don’t know the answer to your second question.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

visind wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:56 am
2) I saw that all expired eBay listings had the classic white plastic packaging. I have not seen any with the black leather case. Do you know if this in my possession is a particular version?
The black leather case is a separate product made by another vendor. I’ve seen it sometimes before sold together with a ZX81.

This is the first time I’ve seen it bought for a ZX80.
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

Looks like a briefcase like this one, with space for computer, printer, tape recorder and some cassettes.

Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
visind

Post by visind »

1024MAK wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:09 am The TV channel frequency is ‘channel 36’ or thereabouts for U.K./European ZX80 computers.

Yes, you connect it up to its PSU, connect the RF lead to the aerial input for the TV and try to manually tune (analogue tuner). The automatic tuning is often useless in finding the output from the computer.

A CRT TV is recommended, especially a basic model. It may work with some LCD TVs. But it’s pot luck…

I don’t know the answer to your second question.

Mark
Perfect, i'll try. Thanks ;)