Potential Sale of ZX81Museum's Collection

ZX80 / ZX81 hardware and software offered for sale or swapping
ZX81Museum

Potential Sale of ZX81Museum's Collection

Post by ZX81Museum »

Hi,

Need your suggestions on how to go about selling the collection (everything) as a job lot - eBay? traditional auction? fixed price private sale? I'm not convinced that eBay is the way forward due to the associated charges/commissions, which seem higher than ever these days.

Assuming this goes ahead, up for grabs is everything listed at http://www.ZX81Museum.net - all the hardware, software and books.

Ta,
1024MAK

Re: Potential Sale of ZX81Museum's Collection

Post by 1024MAK »

Wow, that is some collection!

Why do you need to sell?

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
ZX81Museum

Post by ZX81Museum »

No longer have the time, money, space etc. to keep it going I'm afraid.
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

Such a shame that you feel you have to sell up - hopefully, you will retain the site and keep it interesting - otherwise, potentially, you could even seek to sell the site itself!

As for recommended way of selling items - well I would suggest you look at using sellmyretro.com - which does at least have a lot lower charges (no listing fees and only 2.5% final value fee). Many of the ZX81 users already use that site as they head over to buy a ZXpand or AY interfaces...

I would definitely advise against offering it as a job lot - you will not get full value for your items, but then you would save in the time taken to list everything...

I would also recommend either listing items with a fixed price or as an auction with a buy it now option - as some people like the thrill of an auction, others prefer to impulse buy and know that they have acquired the item.
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

Do you have to sell it now or can you wait for it ?
Would be another highlight for our ZX TEAM Meeting in Mahlerts in about 10 month in germany.
Could do a real (live) auction of it and the members of the german team spend much money on their hobby. :mrgreen:

But I think then we have to look for a new location.
This could burst up the meeting. :lol:
Together with the rocket launch it could be the millenium meeting.

Or maybe this auction could be worth an autumn meeting this year. 8-)

Did you try sellmyretro.com ?
I think the people there are more affinate to retro computing than Ebay and know about the worth of some components.
And if you announce it on all forums worldwide/country wide, you would get a maximum of attention.

By the way, where do you store it now ?
You have it in showcases in your home ?
I can see only photo of the boxes and single items.
I thought of it because of the name "museum".
ZX81Museum

Post by ZX81Museum »

PokeMon wrote: By the way, where do you store it now ?
You have it in showcases in your home ?
I can see only photo of the boxes and single items.
I thought of it because of the name "museum".
The collection is stored in a dry attic and is showcased online only (no physical display at present). Just run out of room, time to manage it and funds to keep it going. The plan was to keep it growing until the ZX81 hit 50 years old, but the need for funds these days means it will probably have to go.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Have you thought about loaning (or selling / donating) your collection to a UK based computer museum?
Google shows a number of results: https://www.google.co.uk/webhp#hl=en&gs ... 10&bih=594

The Centre for Computing History (http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/) looks like it is growing fast (http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/news ... er-Museum/)

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
ZX81Museum

Post by ZX81Museum »

I would indeed sooner see the collection sold all together to a bricks & mortar computer museum than attempt to sell it for best price by splitting-up. The museums do have limited budget for acquisitions but it's an avenue worth exploring.

I wonder if Rick Dickinson would be interested... or even Sir Clive.. or Sir Alan..?
ZX81Museum

Post by ZX81Museum »

Finally, details of the sale up on the website. Offers now invited if you're interested...

http://www.ZX81Museum.net