TILES PROTOTYPE

Anything Sinclair ZX Basic related; history, development, tips - differences between BASIC on the ZX80 and ZX81
SafePit

TILES PROTOTYPE

Post by SafePit »

I've always wanted to create a tile based game, similar to Ultima, on the ZX81, but I wasn't sure you could actually make one. My first attempt in pure BASIC using string arrays displayed well, but was way too slow to move around (even using fast). I decided to use MCODER instead. After trying a couple of different ways to print the tiles, I finally have a prototype that is fast with decent movement. Since my ZX81 died a few years back, I'm testing on in an emulator. I'd be curious how it runs on a real ZX81.

You can view the code here or play it online here.

Note it is still a prototype. There isn't much to do yet except move around and some place holder commands. Feedback and suggestions welcome!
Attachments
tiles.png
tiles.png (16.01 KiB) Viewed 2965 times
tiles16.zip
(10.98 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
RWAP

Re: TILES PROTOTYPE

Post by RWAP »

Welcome to the forums.

It looks quite good - although I am not quite sure what the aim is going to be - what game is 'Ultima' and what are the controls?
SafePit

Post by SafePit »

RWAP wrote:Welcome to the forums.

It looks quite good - although I am not quite sure what the aim is going to be - what game is 'Ultima' and what are the controls?
Thanks RWAP. Sorry, should have noted that the controls are A - west, W - north, D - east, and S - south. You can try other keys to see what happens, but not much works yet except movement. You can use Q - quit to rebuild the world.

The first Ultima (I-V) were tile based adventure games form the 80's. My first exposure was Ultima III on the C-64. It would be nice to add monsters with combat, some stores, chests, and some random dungeons. My focus was on proving I could create the graphics, I still need to work on the game mechanics.
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

Looking good, i like the animated tiles, and was quite suprised at the speed of the redraw, looking forward to playing the final thing ;)
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...