ZXPands and ZXpand-AY modules back in stock

ZX80 / ZX81 hardware and software offered for sale or swapping
RWAP

ZXPands and ZXpand-AY modules back in stock

Post by RWAP »

With many thanks to SirMorris, we now have some more ZXpand Interfaces and ZXpand-AY Modules in stock:

ZX81 ZXpand interfaces:
http://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/detail ... rface-2435

ZX80 ZXpand Interfaces:
http://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/detail ... rface-3754

ZXpand-AY Modules:
http://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/detail ... odule-2331

:D
sirmorris

Re: ZXPands and ZXpand-AY modules back in stock

Post by sirmorris »

/me wipes sweat and solder flux from brow
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

By the way, have you tried one with a ZX80Core ??
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

RWAP wrote:By the way, have you tried one with a ZX80Core ??
Sell My Retro wrote:ZX80 computers with internal RAM upgrades may not be compatible. Contact us for advice.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

Yes - would be nice to hear about restrictions using ZXpand.
Internal RAM can be limited by using a smaller RAM.
So the ZX80CORE can be held exactly like a real ZX80.

The question is, what is important for the ZXpand to work on a ZX80 and how it is linked in the system (ROM) ?
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Because an unmodified ZX80 doesn't have !ROMCS on the edge connector you need to replace the internal ROM. There is a jumper on ZXp which disables the overlay ROM, and restricts RAM to 16k. ZXp pulls !RAMCS to 5V so any internal RAM is disabled (assuming it honours !RAMCS) but I guess even if it doesn't then you'd just get both memories working in parallel. I suspect that might not be optimal.
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

Okay - understand.
To be sure: The ZX80CORE has /ROMCS on the connector (if J99 is set) - so if this signal is provided (like in the ZX81 manner with an appropriate resistor), there is no ROM change needed because the internal can be switched off with pulling ROMCS high. So this might be more easy than in a original ZX80, I think.

About the RAM - this can be switched off with the /RAMCS signal which is also available on original ZX80 in the same way.
I think this would work parallel with internal and external RAM together but might result in a higher currency consumption and would not propose it.

There is just one small mechanical problem with the video chinch socket which is in the same position as the RF socket on original ZX80 and might conflict when attaching ZXpand. So here might an extender be useful or providing a second chinch connector somewhere else or a cable with chinch connector coming out. :?
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

ZXpand also has a ROM bank select so you can have the '80 and '81 ROMs in a 16k chip. It's software switchable. You're right about the physical issues Karl, there are extender cables available which will mitigate this problem.
oscar

Post by oscar »

I bought one of the earlier (issue 1) ZXPands. Is there somewhere I can find out what the differences are between different issues, so I know if I should consider buying one of these new ones?
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

I stand to be corrected, but as far as I know there is no real difference between the issue 1 and issue 3 in operation terms.

The issue 3 boards were slightly re-designed to make assembly easier and to get rid of those extra two pins on the PIC socket (which were used by the ZXpand-AY).

The ZXpand-AY was then modified with a wire to replace the necessity for those two extra pins - so if you plug a ZXpand-AY into an issue 3 board, you see the two pins dangling in mid air. You can still use these with the original issue 1 ZXpand, by snipping the small wire link on the back of the ZXpand-AY.