Toddy Forth - a new ZX81 forth implementation

Discussion about ZX80 / ZX81 Software
Moggy

Re: Toddy Forth - a new ZX81 forth implementation

Post by Moggy »

mrtinb wrote:
Moggy wrote:I tried this on SZ-81 emulator typed ok no freeze and my toddy has only 6k free due to the compilation I use. The rest of your program is obviously missing what is it you are trying to achieve and what emulator are you running it on?
It's a source editor I received from Dominique Contant. Toddy Forth does not include an editor.
That might explain it if it something used with vb81 version of forth.
I gave up on toddy sometime ago as when trying to use words from other forth versions it would either crash or not compile at all. For emulators I use H4th which has least got a usable editor and manual.
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

I think these two lines messes up the memory, because with MS-forth two garbage chars show up on the screen when typed.
mrtinb wrote:Hi :-)

Code: Select all

E000 S0 [' ] (shift 1 graphics upper-left)
FFF0 R0 [' ] (shift 1 graphics upper-left)
screen-msforth.png
screen-msforth.png (3.07 KiB) Viewed 3244 times
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

So the answer to my own question is:

The source I got from Dominique Contant must assume something about the memory configuration (places for stacks etc.) from his version of Forth. When used on another Forth with different memory configuration it corrupts the data in memory.
Martin
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

The new great Zeditor can work as the missing editor for ToddyForth. That's wonderful.
Martin
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Once Toddy gets a keyboard routine that's usable for those of us with external KKEEEBBBOAARRRRDSSS(try one and see, backspacing becomes second nature :lol: ) a manual and not a side of A4 in Spanish/Portuguese/other Latin tongue,some examples that don't rely on 75% assembler because of a lack of compatibility with real world examples,as opposed to true forth to show off its potential plus a break key(large DO LOOPs anyone?), then in my humble opinion it will always remain what it set out to be, a bit of fun intended for emulator use then cobbled together for the real thing and not really developed any further.

I would add that as I like to program in forth as opposed to playing with the half dozen examples Toddy comes with, I found that when creating words to make up for those missing from this Based-on- Fig forth example of the language I experienced some wonderful and delightful zeddy meltdowns and no I'm I'm not going to list them I'll let you all find them for yourselves and perhaps learn some assembler along the way to get round it like those in the provided examples. ;)

Now Pluri-forth,Multi-forth,Tree-forth sorry H4th which has all these things that's more like it,plus it's nice to have 10K not 5K to play with after compilation, just a shame about the tape STORE/LOAD! :lol: