Re: ZXpand Joystick Compatibllity

Discussion about ZX80 / ZX81 Software
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

Are there any tips on adding support for the ZXpand Joystick to existing games would also be helpful. Over on Facebook, Steve McDonald (who wrote Rock Crush and Dan's Revenge) has said he would be willing to patch them to support this :)
Last edited by RWAP on Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Original thread was asking about list of compatible games - now a sticky thread in Games
sirmorris

Re: ZXpand Joystick Compatible Software List

Post by sirmorris »

You mean like THIS? It hasn't been updated for a while, I suspect some of the newer games come with support baked in.

I will be happy to tell everything I know about patching, but in my experience there is no one solution, every game I did required its own process.

C
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

Ah - well found that man!

I have made the original post a sticky post to make it easier to find and updated the title for this thread
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Wow, I'd forgotten all about how far I'd got with patching P files at run-time.

The technique was that I'd load the patch code into memory at 8K, then load the target program into memory and apply the patches.

This was because in many cases hacking the code was impractical due to space or time restrictions, so I'd copy chunks of the game elsewhere in memory before adding in the joystick code.

Later programs in the thread above come with all the source for the patchers and the patches themselves so you can see how it's done.