SYNTAX ZX80 and other docs

General Chit Chat about Sinclair Computers and their Clones
msellan

SYNTAX ZX80 and other docs

Post by msellan »

Hi all,

I recently acquired a pretty complete set of Syntax ZX80 issues and am going to begin scanning them and loading them to the Internet Archive. I also wanted to get your feedback about the value of other documentation? Where should I post those? Things like the ZX80 and ZX81 software catalogs, the advertisements that came with the ZX computers, mailing cards, etc.? Are folks even interested in that sort of thing?

I don't mind putting them on my website but it seems a shame not to keep them in a central site or repository for better safe keeping. Keeping it together where there is critical mass seems the key to preserving it long term.

Anyway, once I get the first issues scanned, I'll drop a note here to let you know. Just glancing through them, I've already learned some really interesting things!

Best,

-mark
3 ZX80s (1 UK issue 2, 1 US issue 2 & 1 US issue 1), 5 ZX81s, 1 TS1000, 2 Memotech 16k RAM,
2 ZX81 16k RAM, 2 TS 16k RAM, 1 ZX81 unbuilt kit, 1 TS2040 printer, 2+ ZX8-CCB and counting
1024MAK

Re: SYNTAX ZX80 and other docs

Post by 1024MAK »

We would love to have the magazines, leaflets, booklets, flyers etc scanned.

We would also love to have a main "central" archive for the ZX80 and ZX81.

If anyone would like to start the ball rolling, or would like to help, please do let us know.

It is still hoped that World of Spectrum will be able to start working through their backlog sometime later this year once the maintainers have finished construction of the new site software. The intention is to include ZX80 and ZX81 as well as ZX Spectrum software, manuals, magazines and books. Note that World of Spectrum will only host copyright material where the copyright holder has no objections.

In the meantime there are two other sites that are filling the gap:
Spectrum Computing is currently hosting ZXDB. ZXDB is a database of all things Sinclair. Spectrum Computing also includes some downloadable software. The maintainer would love contributions.
Meulie Sinclair Archive contains a lot of the content from World of Spectrum, some of which is currently unavailable from World of Spectrum.

So if people do have items to upload, please try to see if you can contact the writer, author or copyright owner.

Relevant World of Spectrum forum threads:
Requesting permissions from authors!!!
Artwork and advert preservation in lossless high quality
Inlays being done in lovely 600dpi
Magazine scans
File types

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
msellan

Post by msellan »

1024MAK wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:34 pm We would love to have the magazines, leaflets, booklets, flyers etc scanned.

We would also love to have a main "central" archive for the ZX80 and ZX81.

If anyone would like to start the ball rolling, or would like to help, please do let us know.

Mark
Hi Mark,

That's very helpful to know. I would be happy to help and/or get the ball rolling. Are there folks at World of Spectrum, Spectrum Computing or Meulie Sinclair Archive that would be good to reach out to? I'm fairly new to the forums here and don't want to be presumptive. I'm happy to help, scan, lead in any way that I can.

In my day job I work in IT in an academic library where we do lots of digitization work. So at the very least I have some experience with these sorts of projects which might be of help. I'm just also on a personal mission to save these kinds of materials. I'm a nerdy collector at heart. :geek: I especially am interested in items like packaging, brochures, flyers, etc. They're some of the first things people discard which makes them amongst the hardest items to locate and preserve.

Generally, I was planning to upload content here but I noticed that there's no board for "documentation." I don't want to create a storage issue for the site owner here so I'll continue scanning the materials behind the scenes and will wait to see what develops regarding the best place for a central repository and can upload content once that's identified.

I'm willing to scan materials for others if people need assistance with that too. To the extent that there's minimal cost involved in shipping the materials here and back, I'm willing to cover those costs - especially for items that are uncommon or particularly desirable by the community. I'm also happy to help with post processing for folks that have access to scanners. I have a fairly automated workflow once the images have been acquired from a scanner or a camera and could take folders of material and process them into some final form (jp2s, tiff, pdf, etc.) Again, whatever is helpful.

BTW, I believe I've located the original publisher of SYNTAX ZX80 and am drafting a letter to him asking for permission to scan and load the issues to the Internet Archive. Obviously, it's an unknown as to whether he will respond or if he'll agree. But I'm hopeful. :)

Best,

-mark
3 ZX80s (1 UK issue 2, 1 US issue 2 & 1 US issue 1), 5 ZX81s, 1 TS1000, 2 Memotech 16k RAM,
2 ZX81 16k RAM, 2 TS 16k RAM, 1 ZX81 unbuilt kit, 1 TS2040 printer, 2+ ZX8-CCB and counting
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Mark, I suggest you also read this thread.

Also, if you have not seen these sites, have a look:-
http://www.zx81stuff.org.uk Site written and operated by Simon Holdsworth. Contact details at the bottom of the linked to web page.
https://k1.spdns.de/Vintage/Sinclair/ Kio's site - contact details at the bottom of the linked to web page.

The administrator and maintainer for this forum is Richard Mellor (RWAP). Talk to Rich if you have some large files that you would like to make available. He may be able to help by putting them on his web site. But long term, we really need a system that does not rely on an individual.

The administrator and maintainer at World of Spectrum is Lee Fogarty and he has his own ideas and timetable. The moderators are Rich Chandler and David Brown. Despite any reputation you may have heard about, I sure they will be helpful :-)

The administrator and maintainer for Spectrum Computing is jonesypeter. A thread about the site is here:
Spectrum Computing Update Thread. See also the contact page on his site.
The database that Spectrum Computing is based on is called ZXDB and is the work of Einar Saukas. He has a thread about ZXDB here.
Again, feel free to contact either or both of them.

I have forgotten who is behind Meulie Archive. The admin or mods at WoS should know.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
msellan

Post by msellan »

1024MAK wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:11 pm Mark, I suggest you also read this thread.

Mark
Hi Mark,

Thanks for pointing me in all the right directions. I've been catching up on threads and looking at the other forums. The thread you mentioned above was one I had seen when I first started browsing this forum again and was one of the motivators for me to become an active member. It's definitely a complicated issue to address.

I've written a letter to the publisher of SYNTAX ZX80 and will drop it in the post tomorrow. Hopefully he'll been open to the idea of scanning and posting his material. I'll post a message when I hear back. In the meantime, I'm going to keep scanning because publicly available or not, they're worth preserving. ;)

Best,

-mark
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

Why not just use Archive.org. It's what it's there for. It will definitely survive many private sites.
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

Syntax is an excellent resource :-) well worth it if you're interested in programming the old ZX80.

Regards,

Shaun.
msellan

Post by msellan »

I wanted to let everyone know that I've heard back from the publisher of SYNTAX and he's happy to let me scan and upload all the issues to the Internet Archive. :D He also mentioned that he originally published the annotated 4K ROM listing and said if I have a copy I could upload that as well. He no longer has a copy unfortunately. So if anyone has that let me know. I'm still fussing over scanning settings choices but will settle on something soon and start uploading.
mrtinb wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:59 pm Why not just use Archive.org. It's what it's there for. It will definitely survive many private sites.
Hi Mrtinb! I totally agree that the Internet Archive (IA) is the right home for these materials. But it is a violation of their terms of service to upload in-copyright materials (that's everything after 1923 in the US) that you don't specifically hold the rights to or have permission to upload. In this case we're fortunate to have been able to contact the rights holder and get permission.

Libraries can load in-copyright materials as part of a partnership agreement with the IA and those materials then can be digitally loaned to patrons through the Open Library. But as far as I know that's not possible for individuals to do. As an individual, you can donate physical materials to IA for them to preserve (physically) and then they'll scan and provide access to the digital copy through the Open Library. But I suspect they're more interested in books than in serials, periodicals or ephemera.

I think it might be worthwhile to see if a library (maybe most likely in the UK) might be interested in developing and supporting a collection of materials related to the ZX computers. That would provide a path towards long-term, cohesive curation and preservation. Here is one place I stumbled onto: http://www.swansea.ac.uk/library/archiv ... ions/hocc/ I wonder if anyone on this board has a relationship with this institution?

Also, even in finding a good place to deposit and preserve materials (documents, software, books, etc.) doesn't address Rich's post about what to do about maintaining this community and how to ensure it has a way to survive into the future as well. I think it's a really important point and somewhat separate from questions of where the "stuff" gets stored.

Ok I'll stop rambling on and on :P

Best,

-mark
msellan

UPDATE Re: SYNTAX ZX80 and other docs

Post by msellan »

All,

I've been busy scanning and post-processing the issues of SYNTAX I have along with getting some missing bits and rescans from the original publisher, Kirtland Olson, who has been very helpful and generous with his time. Now loaded to the Internet Archive (IA) are the two issues that comprise Volume 1 (No.1 and No.2).

They can be found here: https://archive.org/details/syntaxvol1no1 and here https://archive.org/details/syntaxvol1no2

Also, The Harvard Group (publisher of Syntax) published an Annotated 4k ROM Listing with the original ROM author's comments but Kirt no longer has a copy. He's happy to have it scanned and loaded to the archive if we can locate one. He says it's 8.5x11 inches (the same size as Syntax) with dark yellow covers, plastic spiral bound and approximately 75-100 pages. So if you have one or know someone who does please get in touch if you're willing to scan it or loan it for scanning.

I'll continue to load issues to IA a few per week until I get through them all. Right now I have all of Volume 2 scanned and most of it post-processed. I should have the rest of Vol. 2 finished soon and then can start loading it up as well.

Best,

-mark
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Only looked at the first few pages, but looking very good :D

Thank you for doing this 8-)

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!