TAZMANIAC

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
dessony

Re: TAZMANIAC

Post by dessony »

Charles,

Try Paul of Germany and 1024MAK(Mark) of England, these very nice gentlemen :D can answer your certain question related to the TS1500's and Spectrum's ports distance. The Spectrum's video port jack and the exposed connector are very far from each other without using the extension. :) The TS1500's ports are very near to each other and it forces us to use the extension. :(

Thanks,
Dessony (William)
gammaray

Post by gammaray »

As before...
Firstly, should one goal be to fit a ZXPAND on the rear without a EXTENSION?
Because the ear and mic are also in the way of attaching a ZXPand.

I would think moving the ear and mic are a necessity in this case if one did not want a extension for the bus but to plug directly into.

I can make an educated decision, but am requesting preferences.
5-TS1000,UK ZX81<-Sheelagh, US ZX81, 2-TS1500/KDLX , 3-TS2040 printer, 2-TS2020 cassette decks, ZXPAND+AY, ZeddyNET, ZXBlast, UDG, ZX8CCB, AERCO, BUILDS/REPAIRS ZX Spectrum, ZX80 Minstrel, ZXMAX48 v1 v2, 2-TS-2068, ROM, 16kRAM
dessony

Post by dessony »

Charles,

You are right about the mic and the ear ports area. This situation still forces us to use the extension. I respect you. Unless, you are using a SD card with the ZXpand, you will be fine. I just measured the top part of the TS1500 case for the distance between TS1500's video output jack and Spectrum 16/48's video output jack, 27mm. I want to be helpful to you.

Sincerely yours,
William
gammaray

Post by gammaray »

So I take this to mean that you are open to moving the ear and mic for the purposes of say aesthetic of not using the bus extension?

My TS-1500 has an mold impression where the UK RF/RCA jack would go. So it is easy to identify.

It does appear that the US video is covered by ZXPand envelope. So all mods would be using UK opening. Which is fine because I plan to use the Spectrum cases being made for mine. I have no empty 1500's.

Subject: TAZMANIAC
dessony wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:24 am You are right about the mic and the ear ports area. This situation still forces us to use the extension. I respect you. Unless, you are using a SD card with the ZXpand, you will be fine. I just measured the top part of the TS1500 case for the distance between TS1500's video output jack and Spectrum 16/48's video output jack, 27mm.
5-TS1000,UK ZX81<-Sheelagh, US ZX81, 2-TS1500/KDLX , 3-TS2040 printer, 2-TS2020 cassette decks, ZXPAND+AY, ZeddyNET, ZXBlast, UDG, ZX8CCB, AERCO, BUILDS/REPAIRS ZX Spectrum, ZX80 Minstrel, ZXMAX48 v1 v2, 2-TS-2068, ROM, 16kRAM
dessony

Post by dessony »

BINGO! Please let us know the result. Are you going to buy the Spectrum 16/48 whole case or trying to work on the mold impression area? I would try to use a small board with two mini jacks installed and some wires hooked up onto the TS1500's motherboard's mic/ear area. I know that it was not perfect. But, I tried my best.

Dessony
Paul

Post by Paul »

I would suggest an internal ZXPand.
Sirmorris is able to offer a solution for this.
But on the other hand, do you know the ZXNU?
This is a ZX81 and ZX80 compatible Mainboard with standard 74ICs instead of ula with built in "MICRODRIVE" flash drive and vdrive connector so USB sticks can be used.
I offer to redesign this to fit into a spectrum case if you decide this is the way you want to go.
Kind regards Paul
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
gammaray

Post by gammaray »

I had an internal SpanyPants in mind as well as imagining hearing someone offer a native '81 board for Spec48/TS1500 cases! Didn't take too long.

I can see the narrow path of the idea broadens into too many fun choices. I had four minor and three major design variants already and one was with the Spand.

The main solid idea for TAZMANIAC/FRANKENZED is to take a ZX81 board make minimal modifications as necessary and kit it up and assemble in Speccy case.

I did not know if I should make the design process partially open for obvious reasons but I am glad I am getting feedback.

I will now define the FRANKENZED as the kit without any variant of Z'pand in it. TAZMANIAC will be a variant that has a "Spandmaniac+" in it (please accept my poetic license)

Till I have my wits about me again, (it's 6am) TTFN.

Charles
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

Some people use an adapter to connect ZXpand or other interfaces to a ZXmore or ZX80CORE or similar.
A right angled adapter for the video signal will solve the space problem then.

Here is an adapter with no function at all :mrgreen:
https://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/details/2738

A better solution might be Andy Rea's UDG 4 ZXpand which gives also a distance but has a function as well. 8-)
https://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/detai ... pand-28480

Just an idea to use cases without modifications.
gammaray

Post by gammaray »

Paul wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:12 am I would suggest an internal ZXPand.
Sirmorris is able to offer a solution for this.
I am so glad sirmorris will change the form and layout to fit a board to my specifications! Now maybe I should ask(bribe) him:)
But on the other hand, do you know the ZXNU?
This is a ZX81 and ZX80 compatible Mainboard with standard 74ICs instead of ula with built in "MICRODRIVE" flash drive and vdrive connector so USB sticks can be used.
I offer to redesign this to fit into a spectrum case if you decide this is the way you want to go.
Kind regards Paul
I would love that but I am having trouble with keeping up with all the different projects!
Paul

Post by Paul »

PokeMon wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:14 pm A better solution might be Andy Rea's UDG 4 ZXpand which gives also a distance but has a function as well. 8-)
https://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/detai ... pand-28480

Just an idea to use cases without modifications.
That is true.
Once you have ZXPand with RAM built in the case there is no way to add UDG externaly.
That speaks against internal ZXPand (or add internal UDG as well)
Kind regards Paul
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.