Why the difference in TV out port?

General Chit Chat about Sinclair Computers and their Clones
Bill H

Why the difference in TV out port?

Post by Bill H »

I have a USA version of the ZX81 (not the TS1000) and it has the TV out like the picture below but it also has a recess where you could remove the cut out for TV out closer to the EAR & MIC like the 2nd picture - why the difference?
zx81-1.JPG
zx81-2.JPG
RetroTechie

Re: Why the difference in TV out port?

Post by RetroTechie »

At least for the TS1000, RF (TV) output is on VHF channel 2 or 3. Versus UHF channel 36 on a regular (UK) ZX81. Also note the channel select switch on the bottom, which is not present on a UK ZX81. And the somewhat-conductive silvery paint + metal strip inside the case on US models (for EMI shielding).

VHF output uses a different type modulator: the one in my TS1000 reads "UM 1082 LA2/3" on the label. Versus UM1233 in the UHF output ZX81's. And these modulator types happen to have their RF output at a different location.

I'd assume that it was easier/cheaper for Sinclair (or Timex) to provide for cutouts in different locations in the case, than have custom RF modulators produced. In terms of injection molding a case like this, it is done using some insert(s) that are placed or removed in the injection mold before producing a batch. Not sure if the same method was used for the Sinclair logo on top vs. the recess where "Timex Sinclair 1000" sits on the TS1000's. Surrounding area seems too smooth - maybe there were 2 different injection molds used for the upper half of the case? :?:

Anyway I'd guess your US model ZX81 looks pretty much like a TS1000 inside. Maybe it was an early production model before Timex-specific customizations were done?
gammaray

Re: Why the difference in TV out port?

Post by gammaray »

UHF has the RCA jack on the left side of the modulator, I think.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Astec-UM1233-U ... Swh6xTtqov

VHF has the jack on the right side of the modulator case.
https://tr4.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/2011/0 ... 00x800.jpg

I suspect this is to prevent mistakes in assembly. The location seems to make a "key".
5-TS1000,UK ZX81<-Sheelagh, US ZX81, 2-TS1500/KDLX , 3-TS2040 printer, 2-TS2020 cassette decks, ZXPAND+AY, ZeddyNET, ZXBlast, UDG, ZX8CCB, AERCO, BUILDS/REPAIRS ZX Spectrum, ZX80 Minstrel, ZXMAX48 v1 v2, 2-TS-2068, ROM, 16kRAM