ZX Printer Belt

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
svid123

Re: ZX Printer Belt

Post by svid123 »

Did anyone tried to order from that store?
http://www.zxrenew.co.uk/ZX-Printer-Bel ... -p83944853

They already made test casts of belts
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... ater&ifg=1
Paul

Post by Paul »

Yes, we ordered in begin of May last year and never got any updates from them since then.
Last year in October I met him in Cambridge at the Spectrum35 show. He then said they were testing the belts. As I haven't received any belts I guess the test results were bad.
If they were willing to deliver anything they would have had time enough in the past eleven months to give any information or ask whether I would like to beta test the belts.
I won't order anything from them anymore.
Kind regards Paul
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

Paul wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:18 pm Yes, we ordered in begin of May last year and never got any updates from them since then.
Last year in October I met him in Cambridge at the Spectrum35 show. He then said they were testing the belts. As I haven't received any belts I guess the test results were bad.
If they were willing to deliver anything they would have had time enough in the past eleven months to give any information or ask whether I would like to beta test the belts.
I won't order anything from them anymore.
Kind regards Paul
Djordje and Peter (at ZX Renew) say they are more than happy to refund those who do not want to wait any longer - just drop them a line.

The last update was admittedly in January (on Facebook) where it was said they were arranging for the molds to be produced
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

I have been speaking further with Ian Gledhill (Mutant Caterpillar) about these - don't forget that Ian offers a refurb service for ZX Printers, including a replacement belt for £49.99 - https://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/detai ... pair-28467

He cannot sell the belts on their own unfortunately and has doubts that any 3D printed version will work :(
mhudson52

Post by mhudson52 »

I applaud the work Ian is doing and the services he provide, and hold him in highest regard. What I am attempting to do is fill a niche that seems to exist for those who have working printers that only need a new belt to be brought back to functionality.

This is a challenge I have taken upon myself that may fail miserably or miraculously succeed. Many here have generously contributed to this project, and I greatly appreciate it.

My plan is to sell them for shipping costs plus $1 for material.
TS 1000 bought in 1982 and brought back to life by Sir Ian
Paul

Post by Paul »

mhudson52 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:06 pm My plan is to sell them for shipping costs plus $1 for material.
Which is approximately £48.99 cheaper than Ian's offer.
If the new Printer belt will last a week I will happily buy mhudson52 solution or print one myself.
Kind regards Paul
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
gammaray

Post by gammaray »

I wonder if a glass fiber reinforced polymer material is available and would it increase strength?
5-TS1000,UK ZX81<-Sheelagh, US ZX81, 2-TS1500/KDLX , 3-TS2040 printer, 2-TS2020 cassette decks, ZXPAND+AY, ZeddyNET, ZXBlast, UDG, ZX8CCB, AERCO, BUILDS/REPAIRS ZX Spectrum, ZX80 Minstrel, ZXMAX48 v1 v2, 2-TS-2068, ROM, 16kRAM
mhudson52

Post by mhudson52 »

Yes and yes, but not as flexible.
mhudson52

Post by mhudson52 »

Update on the printer belt. Yesterday I received the printer belt fragments that Francois was so generous to loan me and immediately got out my scanning electron microscope and calipers. I had no idea how insanely tiny the features were, but after repeated measuring I feel good about the accuracy of the results.

Here is screen grab.
Printer belt close-up.JPG
The next task will be to figure out how connect the styli to the belt. Due to the minute size of the mounting pin caps, etc., it won't be exactly like the original but functional.

Regards,
Mike
Paul

Post by Paul »

My excuses for sending the wrong measurements.
I remembered that height and base were approximately the same number and the top part was half but I got the numbers wrong :oops:
Kind regards Paul