BASIC drawing proggy

Anything Sinclair ZX Basic related; history, development, tips - differences between BASIC on the ZX80 and ZX81
zxooner

Re: BASIC drawing proggy

Post by zxooner »

Paul wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:26 am
zxooner wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:48 pm I'm not sure if I can DM yet; will see if I can send my details now.
Did it work?
Yep, DM sent fine. Thank you :-)
low res art for the Public Domain at the ArtBeSassy archive.
zxooner

Post by zxooner »

ok, I have simplified things even further... as the ZX81 has such lovely graphics creation built right into the keyboard I have lumped for a mix of ascii/Sinclair art that works nicely.

Now that I have a full 16k (following the incredibly generous repair/replacement help from @LardoBoffin I can doodle away to my hearts content and even fill up an entire screen ;)

Code: Select all

10 INPUT A$
20 LPRINT A$
30 GOTO 10
Once the ZXPand+ is here, I will just add a line to SAVE so that I can recall A$ again if needed.. (though if I am right I may need to tweak as the ZXPand+ takes away printer commands?) ... I can't save to tape or sound file as i think my cassette leads are duff and I haven't bothered replacing as SD card option is coming soon.

Anyways, here's the piccy that I could only do half of before as I bombed out of memory when I only had the basic 1k ;-)
DnM2VwiW0AE1Ww8.jpg
DnM2WdNX4AAE2Ye.jpg
DnM2XJ3WwAALAq2.jpg
will post back when I've got the full proggy for save/recall and so on ;-)
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

You are welcome! :)

It never ceases to amaze me how visually impressive such low resolution graphics can be when used well.
I remember my O’level art teaching banging on about ‘capturing the impression’ when drawing etc. but my brain works on fine detail so I never really got that. I could do an extremely detailed / accurate drawing or painting of what I could see but had no real abilities beyond that.
That probably doesn’t make sense but anyway - great image.
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
zxooner

Post by zxooner »

That makes complete sense - I find that if I think too much about a picture I get nowhere at all with it... I have to find that lores zone in my brain and just go with what comes out!
zxooner

Post by zxooner »

OK, here's the final rendition, for 'ascii' art. (I wonder what to call ascii on the zeddy....?)

well, I say 'final' I just need to build in an option for enabling and disabling the printer commands if you are using ZXPand+

Code: Select all

1 REM ASCII ART PROGGY
2 PRINT "IS A$ PRESENT? (Y/N)"
3 IF INKEY$="Y" THEN GOTO 6
4 IF INKEY$="N" THEN GOTO 9
5 GOTO 3
6 CLS
7 PRINT A$
8 GOTO 10
9 CLS
10 PAUSE 40000
18 IF INKEY$="S" THEN GOTO 80
19 IF INKEY$="P" THEN GOTO 90
20 IF INKEY$="Q" THEN GOTO 100
30 INPUT A$
40 PRINT A$
50 GOTO 10
80 SAVE "ASCII"
90 LPRINT A$
91 GOTO 10
100 PRINT "QUITTING"
110 STOP
Start the proggy with GOTO 1
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

zxooner wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:31 pm hey all,

I've written a very simple drawing proggy to use on my unexpanded zeddy and I'm pretty happy with it.

***edit*** there is now an 'ascii' version with save and print options, too.

You litterally move the pointer around the screen with the four keys, then the T key will raise or lower the pen and allow you to draw or erase. It does everything I need really and I can get a simple picture done before it bombs out of available memory.

One thing I would like, however, is the ability to save the drawing once it has been made on the screen, and I hijacked @mrtinb's thread, to that effect. Got some good suggestions on that thread, so once I have been able to expand the RAM (either with the blank screen ram pack that i cant get to work, or with the ZXpand+ that I have pre-ordered) i will report back.

listing.jpg

plan.jpg
Hi,

I've done a refactor which I think should save some bytes of RAMs.
zeddy-paint.png
zeddy-paint.png (5.53 KiB) Viewed 4480 times
Regards,

Shaun.
gammaray

Post by gammaray »

zxooner wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:02 pm OK, here's the final rendition, for 'ascii' art. (I wonder what to call ascii on the zeddy....?)
Call it ZAXCII of course! 'zacks - kee'

"The ZAXCII character code 28 is'0'. "
5-TS1000,UK ZX81<-Sheelagh, US ZX81, 2-TS1500/KDLX , 3-TS2040 printer, 2-TS2020 cassette decks, ZXPAND+AY, ZeddyNET, ZXBlast, UDG, ZX8CCB, AERCO, BUILDS/REPAIRS ZX Spectrum, ZX80 Minstrel, ZXMAX48 v1 v2, 2-TS-2068, ROM, 16kRAM