I missed the hot cakes...

ZX80 / ZX81 hardware and software offered for sale or swapping
Paul

Re: I missed the hot cakes...

Post by Paul »

Hi Charlie,
Thanks for explaining.
Yes it was me and I wondered why shipping was that cheap from New Zealand ;)
So this was shere good luck for me.
As vdrive is a trademark for the usb2spi device and not any idea of one of us nobody was offended in any way. It makes it necessary for us to make the context of the usage of the word vdrive clear enough but this can't do any harm. We wouldn't want to miss your vdrive because it's so good and makes us feel at home at our little Sinclair machines a little more than other devices do because look and behavior is much closer than any other device for our machines do.
Kind regards Paul
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

Hi and a warm welcome. Looks like a great product.

Since you, by magic, just create one ULA after the other, :) how about a ULA for the Lambda 8300? It’s a little different than the ZX81 and has the charset (ROM) build into the ULA. :)
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Moggy wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:02 pm
Lardo Boffin wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:02 pm Thanks Moggy. I had missed those as well!

I will have to order a ton of them shortly when a pallet of zeddies of unknown working status arrive shortly. :D

There should have been two pallets arriving but instead the seller sent me a calculator by mistake!
Sorry lardo couldn't resist. :lol:

If it's a Sinclair calculator it might be worth more than the zeddy!!
Sadly it was a £10 Casio. :(

Hopefully a pallet of zeddies will be arriving today. 8-)
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Hello Charlie and welcome on board!

It looks like you sold about 6 of these since moggy pointed them out yesterday. :D Happy days.

I’m sure you will get a lot of feedback from the folks on here. Your ULA certainly looks the business.

I notice it supports 32K of RAM - how would that be fitted?
ZX80
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Bloodnok

Post by Bloodnok »

Thanks for the warm welcome.
Lardo Boffin wrote:
I notice it supports 32K of RAM - how would that be fitted?
A 62256 static ram (or equivalent) is just placed directly on the address/data bus. No additional components needed. Tynemouth Software have a good how-to guide http://blog.tynemouthsoftware.co.uk/201 ... rsion.html
vLA81 32K Schematic
vLA81 32K Schematic
To get the 0-8K ram mapping A13 needs to be connected to PIN 35 of the ULA. If A13 is not connected to the ULA socket then the high (16K-48K) or low (8K-40K) mappings are still available. A13 would need to be disconnected if an original ULA is used as A13 would clash with the resonator circuit.

Here's one I prepared earlier:
vLA81 32K addon
vLA81 32K addon
For more info the user manual gives all the possible memory maps etc. and a few more details.
vLA81_user_manual_v1.2.pdf
vLA81 User Manual
(594.28 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

QUOTE.

"It looks like you sold about 6 of these since moggy pointed them out yesterday. :D Happy days."

I WANT 10% !!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Seriously, welcome aboard Bloodnok ( A Goons fan perhaps?) and really excellent work. :D
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Thanks for the RAM heads-up Charlie.

I’m looking at the video output section. Does this have a native composite video output like Andy’s? Just not sure of the terminology. :D
ZX80
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

I prefer my internal RAM upgrade detailed here :D

Hello Bloodnok, welcome :D

I must admit, I could not resist buying one of your vLA81 Sinclair ZX81 ULA replacements.

When it arrives (and I can find some time) I’ll try hooking it up to the Zeddy that I used in the article on the site I linked to above. I’ll have to reroute one SRAM address line to the vLA81 pin 35 and wire up the remaining SRAM address line to the CPU A14 address line.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Lardo Boffin wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:42 pm Thanks for the RAM heads-up Charlie.

I’m looking at the video output section. Does this have a native composite video output like Andy’s? Just not sure of the terminology. :D
Reading the documentation, it appears the answer is Yes, it can do this if SW1 is off.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Bloodnok

Post by Bloodnok »

Lardo Boffin wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:42 pm Thanks for the RAM heads-up Charlie.

Yes - the video output is designed to drive a 75 ohm monitor input directly (or through a capacitor if desired). Here's the schematic (fairly standard stuff):
vLA81 Video output
vLA81 Video output
ZX81_VDAC.JPG (9.42 KiB) Viewed 5883 times
The various resistors are to provide the different levels for standard video or the high level sync required for the modulator (and some video mod boards). With the vLA81 there is no need for a video mod of any kind, although the switch settings can be configured to support most existing mods so no changes to the existing ZX81 setup should be needed (there are always going to be exceptions of course - please let me know and I'll look into it).