X and Y

A place to discuss the ZX80's and ZX81's younger brother - the Sinclair ZX Spectrum
Crayon21

Re: X and Y

Post by Crayon21 »

is there an equivalent command for the zx81?
In Heck, there are two options for perpetual torment:

Eat the Puckerberry and suffer for eternity:
drink nothing but a cocktail of The Last Dab and Mexican Cake blended and served with
habanero slices
:twisted:
XavSnap

Post by XavSnap »

… On the Zx81 Basic ?
No…

With a UDG card, just redefine the right characters to display.
Xavier ...on the Facebook groupe : "Zx81 France"(fr)
Crayon21

Post by Crayon21 »

UDG card? Like an SD? I'm using an emulator not the physical hardware, and even if i could, they're almost $600

anyway, what do i do? what command?

drink nothing but a cocktail of The Last Dab and Mexican Cake blended and served with
habanero slices
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

UDG card is an extra PCB that connects to the ZX81. The most common from the time of the ZX81 had various “UDG” in ROM. But the same PCB could have a RAM chip, and then you could design your own UDG. One limitation was that either the extra ROM or the extra RAM based UDG characters completely replaced the standard ROM character set.

The original UDG boards had to be fitted internally to a ZX81. However, the modern designs fit externally.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Crayon21

Post by Crayon21 »

I'm trying to create a pong clone for the zx81. how do i get the graphics to move (I.E Like in 3D monster maze except this is 2D)
? I want to map the up and down keys to W and S or Up and Down respectively. any help would be appreciated. trying to fit in 2k

habanero slices
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

Make the bats with a leading and ending blanc, then you don’t need to erase the bat on movement.
For speed use PRINT AT, also for ball but calculate which graphic is needed (4 possible).
You need to erase the ball before reprinting because it can move to another position.
Do not print ball on the bats but test before it is there and only print it when no bat is there to show a miss.
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

Crayon21 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:55 am I'm trying to create a pong clone for the zx81. how do i get the graphics to move (I.E Like in 3D monster maze except this is 2D)
? I want to map the up and down keys to W and S or Up and Down respectively. any help would be appreciated. trying to fit in 2k
2K must fit. I did it in 1K and hires.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lbgyXvxuf6U
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

1024MAK wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:11 pm UDG card is an extra PCB that connects to the ZX81. The most common from the time of the ZX81 had various “UDG” in ROM. But the same PCB could have a RAM chip, and then you could design your own UDG. One limitation was that either the extra ROM or the extra RAM based UDG characters completely replaced the standard ROM character set.

The original UDG boards had to be fitted internally to a ZX81. However, the modern designs fit externally.

Mark
USCII is a tool which allowes you to use UDG in BASIC without special hardware, only a RAM-pack capable of hires.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3124&p=33382&hilit=Uscii#p33382