TRACTOR BEAM UDG

General games-related topics
Moggy

TRACTOR BEAM UDG

Post by Moggy »

A UDG version of Buksters most excellent conversion, Tractor Beam.

I have tried to make what I think are interesting aliens etc but as the original game uses the normal letter set when converted these letters(now UDGs) will appear in the menu in UDG form and may spoil the effect for some users, for which I apologise.

If I had the skills to do it I would swap the letters for graphics Chrs but..

1) I don't have the skills.

2) This is not my creation to mess with in this manner.

So look past the deficiencies and hopefully have fun.

As with all my conversions...

All three files in the same folder.

Eighty One users use ZXpand mode with no hires and Chr$ 16 set, sound set for Zonx even though it's borked in this emulator.

SZ.81 users use the ZXpand version of this emulator with UDG set, no WRX, sound set for Zonx.

Real zeddy with UDG4ZXpand set to 128 mode and sound via onboard AY unit if ZXpand + or plug in AY board with classic ZXpand.

Just load "TBEAMREM.P" and it will do the rest.

Enjoy.
Attachments
tbeam.zip
(13.63 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
Last edited by Moggy on Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bukster

Re: TRACTOR BEAM UDG

Post by Bukster »

No joy with the Eightyone emulator, it just crashes or uses normal graphics.

Wouldn't it be better if the I register was normal for the title screen then switched to whatever the new value should be for the game? The score and bonus messages wouldn't work however.
Paul

Post by Paul »

My excuses to both of you.
Whenever referring to EightyOne Emulator, it would be much better to include the Version of EightyOne you have been using.
That makes it much easier to figure out wether the problem may be version/user related ;)
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

I'm using version 1.7 set for ZXpand mode and all the other settings mentioned in first post and it works just fine for me, although I'm not a big fan of Eighty One and much prefer SZ.81

As for where to use the I register?
I'm not the most technically minded here and don't frankly don't have the Latin to mess with other peoples code.
I can however use my own simple method for creating UDG's out of what ever is presented. Games that use the character set rather than letters make life simpler but I don't have the skill set to sort through code and do any kind of changing nor the right to alter someone else's creation in that manner especially one as fine as this.
UDG's with the authors kind permission(where traceable) is as far as I can go.

A case in point is a game created by Sir Morris called BIGG OIL. he made two versions of this, one in normal zeddy mode using letters for the game graphics and then a second version using part of the character set so I could UDG it without spoiling the menu/instructions etc.
Last edited by Moggy on Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Moggy wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:29 pm I'm using version 1.7
I'm using Version 1.8 of EightyOne with ZXPand version 1.12 "MOGGY"
and all works well for me.
Kind regards
Paul
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
JohnsBargs

Post by JohnsBargs »

Running EightyOne V1.17 here with all the recommended settings and it doesn't want to know even a tiny bit. Just a big flashing black and white mess. SZ81 is utterly incomprehensible.