EO v2.0 - planning stage

Emulator and emulator development specific topics
marste

Re: EO v2.0 - planning stage

Post by marste »

MikeW wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:50 pm At the moment, the render engine still uses Windows GDI. Once the emulation is complete, I'll work on porting the (tiny) machine specific parts.
I haven't been well the past couple of weeks, so haven't really done a much as I'd have likes. However, here's my weekly update:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NDN4dr ... sp=sharing
I'm sorry to hear you didn't feel well. All my wishes for the best for you!
We'll wait patiently the cross compiling version!
Thank you for your wonderful work!
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

marste wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:45 pm
MikeW wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:50 pm At the moment, the render engine still uses Windows GDI. Once the emulation is complete, I'll work on porting the (tiny) machine specific parts.
I haven't been well the past couple of weeks, so haven't really done a much as I'd have likes. However, here's my weekly update:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NDN4dr ... sp=sharing
I'm sorry to hear you didn't feel well. All my wishes for the best for you!
We'll wait patiently the cross compiling version!
Thank you for your wonderful work!
Well guess what I've been up to... It's a bit rough round the edges at the moment, but at least it compiles and runes... the frame rate is pretty dire, mainly due to the number of nested VMs it's running in (I hope).
Attachments
EOL.jpg
REX LIES IN WAIT
SafePit

Post by SafePit »

Nice. Any chance you could just skip the windows part. 😀
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

SafePit wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:15 am Nice. Any chance you could just skip the windows part. 😀
(thumbs up) :-)
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
BarryN

Post by BarryN »

mrtinb wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:40 pm
SafePit wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:15 am Nice. Any chance you could just skip the windows part. 😀
(thumbs up) :-)
I like Eightyone but I own a Mac so I often run SZ81 instead because it runs natively where as I have to run Eightyone under Wine.
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

BarryN wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:51 pm I like Eightyone but I own a Mac so I often run SZ81 instead because it runs natively where as I have to run Eightyone under Wine.
Since I use a Mac myself, a Mac port is a higher priority than linux, but I don't think they've released gcc for M1 yet?
REX LIES IN WAIT
BarryN

Post by BarryN »

MikeW wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:48 pm
BarryN wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:51 pm I like Eightyone but I own a Mac so I often run SZ81 instead because it runs natively where as I have to run Eightyone under Wine.
Since I use a Mac myself, a Mac port is a higher priority than linux, but I don't think they've released gcc for M1 yet?
I think M1 still runs 64 bit Intel code. GCC is part of X-Code on the Mac, the command line tools package.
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Well I spent all last night fighting with numerous errors of the type "attempting to link ARM-64 code against x86-64 library"...

Finally got it to compile and produce an executable, but alas it falls over before even displaying a window. We'll look into it a little more next week.
REX LIES IN WAIT
SafePit

Post by SafePit »

I use a couple of different emulators that run on Mac, including ZXSP and Clock Signal. SZ81 and I didn't get along. :) I also use JSzeddy a lot -- mainly because it supports Chroma. But EO just works best for managing tape files and I like the screen shots from it better.

I did keep an old El Capitan Mac just to run EO under Wine, but it would be nice to run natively on my M1.
BarryN

Post by BarryN »

MikeW wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:09 pm Well I spent all last night fighting with numerous errors of the type "attempting to link ARM-64 code against x86-64 library"...

Finally got it to compile and produce an executable, but alas it falls over before even displaying a window. We'll look into it a little more next week.
I got SZ81 to compile and link on a friend's M1 Mac. I hope to work with him to bundle it into a proper Mac application.