Mechanical Keyboard PCB

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
benthepoet

Mechanical Keyboard PCB

Post by benthepoet »

I've been getting into the TS 1000 over the past year and one the things that I absolutely wanted was a mechanical keyboard for the system. Looking around I couldn't really find any available PCBs for building such a keyboard (ZX-Key is nice but isn't available). Thus, I figured I'd work out a design for one.

This is the result of my work.
IMG_20220910_133117815.jpg
IMG_20220910_133128217.jpg
IMG_20220910_133156813.jpg
The keyboard consists of three PCBs (top plate, bottom plate, and the actual matrix).
IMG_20220910_133716.jpg
Sitting next to my hand-wired prototype (also a different set of caps I was trying out).
IMG_20220904_100023725.jpg
Right now the keyboard is connected directly the lines on the board, however I am planning on building a simple expansion card so that it doesn't require any modification to the system.

I'm still working on some minor revisions, but once that's all done I will be releasing the Gerber files along with design files to the public so anyone can produce it and/or modify it to their liking. At some point I'll probably sell them too as the minimum order is 5 when getting them manufactured (by JLCPCB).
1024MAK

Re: Mechanical Keyboard PCB

Post by 1024MAK »

Welcome to our forum :D

Your keyboard looks great :D

Thanks for posting.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Welcome on board.

The keyboard looks really nice!
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
marste

Post by marste »

Beautiful!!
I like the transparent keycaps with the black labels on it. How did you print and attached them?
Paul

Post by Paul »

benthepoet wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:57 pm I'm still working on some minor revisions, but once that's all done I will be releasing the Gerber files along with design files to the public so anyone can produce it and/or modify it to their liking. At some point I'll probably sell them too as the minimum order is 5 when getting them manufactured (by JLCPCB).
Are you planning to release the files into the public?
Or the possibility to order batches at JLCPCB?
I might be interested to make a ZX81 Laptop Kit with a Cherry keyboard
Nowadays postage is so expensive that paying it twice seems outdated
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
benthepoet

Post by benthepoet »

marste wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:16 pm Beautiful!!
I like the transparent keycaps with the black labels on it. How did you print and attached them?
Thanks, this is the set of stickers I used for the keycaps.
https://www.4keyboard.com/commodore-key ... olor-black

Eventually I'd like to figure out a means of printing the legends directly on the keycap but that'll take some time and experimentation.
benthepoet

Post by benthepoet »

Paul wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:29 pm
benthepoet wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:57 pm I'm still working on some minor revisions, but once that's all done I will be releasing the Gerber files along with design files to the public so anyone can produce it and/or modify it to their liking. At some point I'll probably sell them too as the minimum order is 5 when getting them manufactured (by JLCPCB).
Are you planning to release the files into the public?
Or the possibility to order batches at JLCPCB?
I might be interested to make a ZX81 Laptop Kit with a Cherry keyboard
Nowadays postage is so expensive that paying it twice seems outdated
Yes, I am planning on releasing the files to the public. Right now I'm working on a revision to the main PCB, but once I'm happy with that I'll make them available.
Paul

Post by Paul »

benthepoet wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:14 pm Yes, I am planning on releasing the files to the public. Right now I'm working on a revision to the main PCB, but once I'm happy with that I'll make them available.
That's great news!
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

If you look at this post, you can paint on the key caps with laser printer toner, and a low power laser.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4824
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
marste

Post by marste »

Here a very nice video on how to build the perfect keyboard for the ZX81!
It will be better than anything else you have and you'll start to write on ZX81 and then copy the text to the PC LOL ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1G5rX_YvCA
PS: this is the third part of a video building the entire system starting from the ZX81+38