Memory Card storage options

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
msknight

Memory Card storage options

Post by msknight »

I've been reading up on various posts and it seems that the ZXpand+ card is the one to go for, with this seller in the EU being the best value... https://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/details/63279

However, firstly there might be options I haven't found... and secondly, the shipping to the UK from the EU appears to be an issue in that it's either stopped for purchases under £135...
"International Shipping to the UK for items up to £135 is currently disabled."
... or stopped completely...
"We will be temporarily suspending cross-border sales to the UK from 20th December 2020."

Grateful for thoughts and advice.
mrtinb

Re: Memory Card storage options

Post by mrtinb »

As a ZXpand might be difficult to get hold of, and import to the UK might be a problem, I would suggest adding a ZX-Wespi to your Zeddy.

You'll only need a cheap ESP32 microcontroller and a few resistors and a capacitor. This device stores your programs into the microcontrollers Flash, and you can upload your own files on the built-in webserver of the microcontroller.
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

brexit has certainly made life more difficult for buying or selling to/from countries in the EU compared to before :twisted:

A forum member (who is now not very active anymore) designed and developed ZXpand and then ZXpand+ in the UK. He went on to sell hundreds of them. And yes, they are wonderful devices. Search this site if you want to know more.

The ZXpand+ that are being produced now are being produced with the permission of the original developer.

I don't currently know if or when it will be possible to buy a new one in or for the UK.

There are other options, but none have become as popular as the ZXpand (yet).

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
msknight

Post by msknight »

Thanks for the advice.

The ZX-Wespi requires Windows to do some of the work, and I'm a Linux user, so couple that with my minimal electronics experience that's down the list of options.

The ZXpand+ will likely be my target, unless something else appears on the horizon.
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

msknight wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:30 pm The ZX-Wespi requires Windows to do some of the work, and I'm a Linux user, so couple that with my minimal electronics experience that's down the list of options.
I've programmed my ZX-Wespi on a Mac.
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

1024MAK wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:48 pm

I don't currently know if or when it will be possible to buy a new one in or for the UK.

Mark
As far as Sir Morris/Charlie producing new Spands, after my last communication with him I would say at the moment the probability is nil.
One of the reasons he handed over the production to A.N Other is because it was taking too much of his time and other commitments came first.
He has made a one off version for audio use but that's about as far as he's gone production wise, however if he gets a second wind and the appropriate enthusiasm who knows. Should that happen I'll be sure to let people know.
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

I have fitted a couple of dozen Wespi’s in the last year or two. Once assembled they are pretty easy to attach to your zeddy - just four wires soldered on to various points.

I could build one and send it to you preprogrammed and ready to go? You just attach 4 wires.

The ESP units are pretty cheap (approx £7 each) so it would only be that plus a few cheap components and about 30 minutes of my time. :D
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Does the Wespi still save files only at normal tape speed or have they got past that hiccup yet?
Paul

Post by Paul »

Saving will stay at original speed. Sorry.
Thats why I use Eightyone for development and Wespi for loading.
Once in a while I use wespi for saving.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
msknight

Post by msknight »

mrtinb wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:11 pm I've programmed my ZX-Wespi on a Mac.
My Mac runs Linux now :-)